Today's post - ill dog - good reason for not using gumtree

magsie

I was so sorry to read Lindsey's post about her recently acquired Collie, so sad for her and her dog.

But this is the reason why rescues are campaigning for animals not to be given away/sold for small amounts of money on Gumtree. Animals are not commodities.

There is no back-up, no come-back, no advice when things go seriously wrong as in many cases. Ill pets given away on Gumtree are by no means uncommon.

I hope Lindsey's dog gets the treatment it deserves but she is going to spend today trying to get the dog emergency treatment, and will probably be faced with a large vet bill.

Please give Gumtree a wide berth where animals are concerned. Thank you.

I know a few people tha have had puppies off gumtree. All have had worms and flea problems and have had to be treated within the first week. It is very sad. It makes you wonder what happens to all the unsold ones....... :cry:

If the opinion is right, they are deprived of the opportunity of exchanging error for truth.If wrong, they lose, what is almost as great a benefit, the clearer perception and livelier impression of truth, produced by its collision with error JS Mill

Thank u :) it his heart breaking how some1 could treat a dog so badly, he's 8 month and the other owner said theyv only had him a few week and he's been wormed fleed injections ect, OBV not! That's probly why they sold him, but I could never ever as I said in my post had him 4 days and I love him, he's the best pup in world hjust want him to get better :(

As Magsie says there is a big campaign going on to try to get animals off of Gumtree. The are often from backyard breeders who sell them too young, are in a very bad way, and dog fighters also use the freeads for picking up their next bait dogs.

There is a facebook group here aimed at getting Gumtree animal free, but please also feel free to contact Gumtree directly about your concerns, especially if you have personal experience of a poorly/innaproriate animal being sold to you

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Get-Gumtree-Animal-Free/216716345024783

Hope your little one is ok Lindseyl, please keep us updated

Then you and your dog are very lucky wendy :)

A lot of people, and a lot of animals aren't so lucky.

It seems we have a culture of not looking after animals and then 'getting rid' of them when they get ill or the owner can't be bothered with them any more. It's detrimental to the animals' health and it doesn't value them or their contribution to our life :(