Anyone been to Santorini?

I went about 40 years ago, if you were not an animal lover you rode on donkeys up the crater side to the rim.

Or if you were a young man you walked, every step of the way.

The explosion that created Santorin created Western civilisation.

It wiped out the Minoan civilisation, the remants got to what is now Greece, and the Grecian civilation began.

The tsunami also created sufficient backwash for Moses to get his people across the Isthmus of Suez, before the wave destroyed the persuing Pharoahs men.

Potted history over.

As others have said it's very nice. A few decent beach resorts on the south east side, massive volcanic cliffs on the west.

We also hired quad bikes but bear in mind accidents are not uncommon and many travel insurance policies won't cover you.

For things to do and see:

- a couple of interesting museums/archaeological sites

- some nice beaches, including red beach (the clue's in the name)

- stunning volcanic scenery

- some very chic shops and bars in Thira

- a good choice of reasonably authentic Greek food

- the sunsets at Oia (they're better than ukdobby says and largely account for Oia having one of the highest per metre property prices in the world)

- dormant volcano and hot springs at Nea Kameni, the island that used to be the centre of Santorini before it blew up around 3,600 years ago

- some interesting wineries where you can sample the local vinsanto dessert wines

If you're into quadrupeds, I would recommend horse riding on the beach and a donkey trip round Thira as well (hold on tight and agree a price first).

In fact I enjoyed it so much I think I might go back this summer.

@Saffy - nice pics, thanks for sharing.

I went about 40 years ago, if you were not an animal lover you rode on donkeys up the crater side to the rim.

Or if you were a young man you walked, every step of the way.

The explosion that created Santorin created Western civilisation.

It wiped out the Minoan civilisation, the remants got to what is now Greece, and the Grecian civilation began.

The tsunami also created sufficient backwash for Moses to get his people across the Isthmus of Suez, before the wave destroyed the persuing Pharoahs men.

Potted history over.

Really?...........

Thanks for all the responses and pics! :)

You're welcome (sorry no pics from me as I never get round to putting them online).

I've been to many different parts of Greece (as I'm sure many others on here have) so if you have any particular criteria for a holiday let us know and I'm sure there'll be an island or region that suits you :thumbsup: