Irresposible dog owners who ignore me

What is the law? I thought all dogs had to be on leads if they are in public places. Is this not the case?

Im trying really hard with him! Im also wondering how much groomers charge so i can get his fur sorted properly as he was full of knots which iv cut out myself and i brush him every other day so if anybody know one that priced fairly cheap as i dont have a lot of funds atm, i would appreciate all your info and advice!!! Thanks everyone!!!!

Unfortunately, it's a very very common problem - the number of times we've asked people to take their dog away from our's and they stand there saying "come on now, come on now" - why don't they just TAKE the dog away as it's obviously not going to listen!

We had it at Rother Valley one day - 2 men walking behind us and their dog kept bugging our's. We put our's on the lead (he is not at all aggressive) and tried to go in-between our dog and their's but the dog kept moving round. We said to the guys, please remove your dog - if he keeps annoying him, he may tell him off. I was almost in tears.

In the end the GRANDDAUGHTER who looked about 10 realised I was getting upset and took the dog away.

It happens over and over and over again :(

Even if a dog is "friendly" it shouldn't be allowed off lead near other dogs if it is going to keep annoying other dogs, who don't ALL want to play :(

I have a rescue dog who is ok with some dogs but not with others so when in the park i keep him on the lead and there are places i let him of for a run but i have had the same problem were people just let there dog wonder up to mine whilst he is on the lead and most dont seem to care less. I find if he has a ball in his mouth he isnt as bad or a treat to distract him. I think if people see some one with a dog on a lead they should put theres on a lead to as the dog on the lead is on for a reason. But they are the first to complain if your dog snaps at theres.

i have a dog with similar issues and actually found shoutin to other owners made her behaiour worse. this was prob down to the fact that i panicked when i saw an approaching dog and she picked up on the emotion. i think if its possible then keeping them moving is best i used to try and pull my dog into the edge and distract/praise her if and when a dog approached but think that causes quite a high stress situation for the dog as they are stuck jus waitin. if its impossible to keep him moving when you see another dog i would let him spot it himself give praise and a treat and immediatley walk in the other direction.

good luck you sound like your workin hard for him

Ive tried that diamond123! He gets all jumpy when i do this! Im trying a few methods to see which works best for him! I dont get edgy when another dog comes and definitely dnt pull him to one side! I try to distract him by playing with him with his ball then slowly he will begin to associate other dogs with something good and nice! I dnt mind if he doesnt get chance to run and play with other dogs but would be nice if i could take him out without him reacting ike he does with most dogs he sees! Its strange because i took him out earlier and came across a man with his dog on lead, so i gave sam his ball and he didnt really react to the dog and he was close enough to the dog to touch it! I was quiet surprised but i just finished my conversation and praised him! Id be happy just to do that! Like i said before im not naive and do understand it doesnt happen overnight!

What is the law? I thought all dogs had to be on leads if they are in public places. Is this not the case?

No! So long as the dog is under control.

What is 'out of control'?

Your dog is dangerously out of control if it:

injures a person, or

behaves in a way that makes a person worried it might injure them - even if it's the dog owner's own home or garden

Direct.gov.uk

Im trying really hard with him! Im also wondering how much groomers charge so i can get his fur sorted properly as he was full of knots which iv cut out myself and i brush him every other day so if anybody know one that priced fairly cheap as i dont have a lot of funds atm, i would appreciate all your info and advice!!! Thanks everyone!!!!

Hi kmajor

I charge £15 for a bath and brush on a border collie and £22 if you want a tidy up.

Both services include a wash in the hydrobath with hypoallergenic shampoo made of natural ingredients, anal glands emptied if needed, ears cleaned and nails trimmed. I remove as much dead hair as possible too.

The tidy up also includes trimming around the feet, feathers and tail etc and I can thin the coat out all over if that was something you wanted.

Feel free to take a look at my website.

Terri

I met up with kmajor and her dog, Sam yesterday. He's so gorgeous, a really lovely dog. He barked at my dog at first but we kept them a few feet apart and just kept walking with them. He soon settled down and after a few minutes, he was just ignoring my dog.

Sam went in the water to play and my dog, Roxy followed him. They started playing together and after that, they were inseperable! They were jumping and climbing all over each other. Sam never showed any sign of aggression towards Roxy at all (even though at times, she was being a right little torment!)

He still barked and growled at other dogs that passed us though. It seems to me like he has a slight fear aggression problem. Once he's had a few minutes to get used to being around another dog, he's fine. It's just the initial meeting that seems to panic him, especially if it's face to face.

Edited by angel22

I met up with kmajor and her dog, Sam yesterday. He's so gorgeous, a really lovely dog. He barked at my dog at first but we kept them a few feet apart and just kept walking with them. He soon settled down and after a few minutes, he was just ignoring my dog.

Sam went in the water to play and my dog, Roxy followed him. They started playing together and after that, they were inseperable! They were jumping and climbing all over each other. Sam never showed any sign of aggression towards Roxy at all (even though at times, she was being a right little torment!)

He still barked and growled at other dogs that passed us though. It seems to me like he has a slight fear aggression problem. Once he's had a few minutes to get used to being around another dog, he's fine. It's just the initial meeting that seems to panic him, espaecially if it's face to face.

------------------------------------------------------post removed

Edited by Tsar Chasm

What a delightful story, can't wait for tomorrow's episode :D

Now, about my username :hihi::hihi::hihi:

It wasn't supposed to be a story. I posted it beacuse now we know what Sam's problem is and people can hopefully give kmajor some advice on how to help a dog with fear aggression.

It wasn't supposed to be a story. I posted it beacuse now we know what Sam's problem is and people can hopefully give kmajor some advice on how to help a dog with fear aggression.

I'm sorry you took offence, it wasn't meant that way.