Planting near leylandii hedge

hi folks

i have a large leylandaii hedge at the top of my garden where is roots are at the bottom theres a wall and space for plants borders and others things, is it safe to plant small crops like raddish toms etc as theres space at front, but read somewhere that this hedge is poisonous and would the roots of leylandaii contaminate the growing of foodstuffs

ima newbie to gardening with limited space

GF x

I don't know about poisonous, but certainly the roots of the hedge will take all the moisture and nutrients from all the ground for several feet from the base. My dad had a neighbour that planted such a hedge along the boundary, and at my dad's side, his lawn became very poor when the hedge was established. Eventually the lawn sunk because the structure of the soil benieth had been sucked dry.

When the neighbour left and a new neighbour took it out and put a fence up. He dug up his lawn and found the roots going for yards and the soil was more like powder it had lost all it's natural properties.

So my advice would be to keep plants away from that ground as they will be a lost cause.

Cheers MC advice greatly appreciated, cant get shut of the LL as its massive and is a job keeping it at reasonable height, hey-ho will try and get a raised bed elswhere in the garden...cheers

ps is there any chance of linking ur rock page to the rebels page on facebook?

Leylandaii take all the goodness out of the soil and if the bed itself is in the shade of the trees, then you have a problem with sunlight not getting to your plants.

I think, but I am no real expert, that Leylandaii drop bits onto the surrounding area, and this is what may be toxic - the little seeds and bits of green etc, which do not rot.

I would personally look at putting in raised beds, with fresh soil and compost, if the beds are on the southern side of the trees. Try and place the beds as far away as possible from the leylandi trees and reduce the height of the trees to get more sunshine on the beds and keep the bed watered. Tomatoes like a lot of sun and warmth.

Edited by Glennis

Leylandaii take all the goodness out of the soil and if the bed itself is in the shade of the trees, then you have a problem with sunlight not getting to your plants.

I think, but I am no real expert, that Leylandaii drop bits onto the surrounding area, and this is what may be toxic - the little seeds and bits of green etc, which do not rot.

I would personally look at putting in raised beds, with fresh soil and compost, if the beds are on the southern side of the trees. Try and place the beds as far away as possible from the leylandi trees and reduce the height of the trees to get more sunshine on the beds and keep the bed watered. Tomatoes like a lot of sun and warmth.

thanx glennis , have tomatos coming, they are in the greenhouse

X