Financially excluded youth could revolt!

http://www.yourmortgage.co.uk/news/3628104

Financially excluded youth could revolt

The exclusion of those in their twenties from the property market and overall tougher living conditions could encourage political activism, said a mortgage trade body.

The Intermediary Mortgage Lender's Association, (IMLA) said this generation has also been let down by the destruction of the pension industry, will carry the costs of higher education and have less opportunities in employment.

"Inevitably a much more constrained housing and mortgage market would become a source of considerable discontent and social inequality.

At some point those affected are likely to bite back, potentially in the form of political action and there is a risk that the industry will be forced into new forms of lending," said IMLA's executive director, Peter Williams.

No **** Sherlock!

To deny a generation housing (and force them to pay more for poor quality housing) whilst increasing the real value of pensions for current pensioners (whom benefited from ample council housing and RTB - i.e. plenty of cheap housing), is going to cause conflict.

Especially when you consider the current youth will not be getting decent pensions, had to pay for their education, face the highest ever youth unemployment in the UK etc. etc.

To avoid the coming crisis, we need to build lots of good quality housing for the youth.

http://www.yourmortgage.co.uk/news/3628104

No **** Sherlock!

To deny a generation housing (and force them to pay more for poor quality housing) whilst increasing the real value of pensions for current pensioners (whom benefited from ample council housing and RTB - i.e. plenty of cheap housing), is going to cause conflict.

Especially when you consider the current youth will not be getting decent pensions, had to pay for their education, face the highest ever youth unemployment in the UK etc. etc.

To avoid the coming crisis, we need to build lots of good quality housing for the youth.

Previous generations have not had worthwhile pensions,have had to pay for further education,unless you were one lucky enough to go to university,at times were long periods out of work,did not own their own homes etc and generally lived a lot more austere lifestyle than people now do..................why do you think we can party forever?

That sounds ace!

Not really. They bought the farm for what is peanuts in todays money, but as it is prime real estate, it is worth a fortune. that would be great, but my gran is a 90 pensioner and wouldn't be able to afford the rates.

Lucky for her, all the farm buildings are made from aspestos, bringing the value right down. :)

Bit of a bummer that I moved to the UK - right to the area she saved so hard to escape from......and am now facing the same conditions. :)

I may have to move back to Australia - if only housing was affordable over there. :)

Can see why Joni Mitchell changed the lyrics, not really got a ring to it in it's original state has it.

hmm we could subsitute for "stylish contemporary apartments"

add the caveat that very few people aspire to stylish contemporary apartments and we have a rap song!