Need a new Graphics card?

Twinklestar7

I regularly play the Sims 3 on my PC; my partner sometimes plays a game or two if the xbox is out of order. I'm wanting a graphics card that will play Sims 3 on high to very high settings. We've been looking at the nVidia GTX 260 but we're afraid it won't fit; we know we'll need a new PCU of at least 700w too..

Has anyone got any suggestions? If so, where can we get them rather cheap?

My specs are atm:

iXtreme M3720 Packard Bell

Graphics card: nVidia 7100 (plays on medium at a push without advanced rendering on)

4GB RAM

Processor: Intel® Core 2 Quad CPU Q8300 @ 2.50GHZ 2.50GHZ

64bit Operating System

Windows 7

PCU is 250w

Thanks in advance..

You won't need a 700watt PSU, 500watt should be fine.

I'd recomend this graphics card (juding by the price of of the GTX 260) The Asus HD 6770 1024MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card is cheaper and a better spec, from Overclockers UK (I cannot post a link due to only having a low post count)

Hope this helps :)

I'm struggling to find a manual or picture of the inside of your PC so i don't know if you can take a dual slot card. However Danny1107 is right, a decent quality 500W PSU will be fine, but be careful as some manufactures fit non standard Power Supplies.

I regularly play the Sims 3 on my PC; my partner sometimes plays a game or two if the xbox is out of order. I'm wanting a graphics card that will play Sims 3 on high to very high settings. We've been looking at the nVidia GTX 260 but we're afraid it won't fit; we know we'll need a new PCU of at least 700w too..

Has anyone got any suggestions? If so, where can we get them rather cheap?

My specs are atm:

iXtreme M3720 Packard Bell

Graphics card: nVidia 7100 (plays on medium at a push without advanced rendering on)

4GB RAM

Processor: Intel® Core 2 Quad CPU Q8300 @ 2.50GHZ 2.50GHZ

64bit Operating System

Windows 7

PCU is 250w

Thanks in advance..

As Danny said, you won't need a 750w. I have a similar spec to yours with a better gfx card & I only have a 500w.

My system according to a calculator I found online will only use 308w when it's at it's max limit.

As for the graphics card, it comes to your budget. Your current card uses a PCI-Express (PCI-E) connector.

You won't need a 700watt PSU, 500watt should be fine.

I'd recomend this graphics card (juding by the price of of the GTX 260) The Asus HD 6770 1024MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card is cheaper and a better spec, from Overclockers UK (I cannot post a link due to only having a low post count)

Hope this helps :)

I have pretty much the same card arriving today. I couldn't find anything better for the price, and i did quite a bit of looking.

It arrived yesterday yeah. Bumped my PC's index score up to 7.6 so that's quite good, compared to the 3.6 it was before. It didn't come with a DVI-VGA adapter though. Bare that in mind if you have a VGA monitor. Also check your PSU has the right 6 pin connector to power it.

Archived