Winter camping in a tent

anyone camp in the winter in a tent ? how do you keep warm and are there any sites near sheffield that open all year round .???

anyone camp in the winter in a tent ? how do you keep warm and are there any sites near sheffield that open all year round .???

i will camp in the winter but i always make sure i can have electric hookup so i can take a heater lol:hihi:

It's easy enough to camp in winter. Just make sure you have a decent sleeping bag, an insulated sleep mat and a wooly hat :-) Or if car camping just take plenty of blankets and/or a quilt!

Winter camping is ace. I've been out in -6c.

There's no magic to it: Layer up, keep your feet warm and take clean trainers for in the tent, gloves and hat in bed, plenty of hot drinks. I had a trangia on low in the closed porch of a 4 man tent which did the trick.

Enjoy it

Yes, I have been known to camp in winter. As for keeping warm, layers and sensible sleeping equipment is a must. Try getting a decent sleeping bag. I got myself a down filled bag which is the business. If you want, you could always take a hot water bottle :)

There are many sites in the Peak District that are open year round. Try Fieldhead or Coopers campsites, at Edale.

Happy camping :)

Yurt + wood burning stove = warm toasty camping bliss! :)

Yurt + wood burning stove = warm toasty camping bliss! :)

Sounds very good, unlike the suggestion of an electric heater :D

As others have said a good 4 seasons sleeping bag is essential. I also use an inflatable airbed as it gets you off the cold ground and really makes a difference.

Camping in the Lakes when it snows is magical!

brrrrr! I have 3 sleeping bags and am still cold in spring, must be nesh lol

I've not camped in winter, but have done so in autumn and spring when the temperature has dropped to 0c during the night, and never been cold in bed. However, we were cold sat in the tent in the evening with no heating, trying to play cards etc, waiting for 'bedtime'. Trying to stop things getting wet can get a bit of a nuisance too, as there's no way of drying things that get damp in the outer area of the tent.

I think anybody who goes camping in winter is a very special type of person!

hurrah I'm 'special' :-)

Have been twice in the last couple of weeks and must admit, i was freezing both nights, despite my -tog sleeping bag, quilt, 4 blankets, hat, scarf, two wool cardis, socks, leggings and fleece and hot water bottle.:o My problem is, I don't like sleeping in my bag properly so I put my arms up which means I don't trap the air properly.