Corporation Swimming Baths

I'm doing some research for a project about Corporation Swimming Baths/Neepsend that used to be where the Riverside Pub is now. I would be very thankful if I could talk to people who remember the Baths (1879-1962), used to go swimming there or have relatives that remember it.

Edited by champions

Do you mean the old Corporation Street Baths ???? I learned to swim there, the schools used them a lot. Lovely old baths, nice warm water, bit steamy at times. These were closed and lessons transfered to Chapeltown, bloody freezing water......hated it...

Corporation St. had the smallest swimming area I've ever seen at a public baths, from memory about 15m length.

It was always very warm in the water and had single cubicle changing rooms around the two "long" sides.

Nimrod, you mentioned it was very steamy in there and Iazyec, you remember that it was always very warm in the water. Does anybody remember what it smelled like when you got near the pool or at the back where the slipper baths were?

Its hard to believe that there were ever a pool there in such a small space you would have to fit in the entrance area in to....The Don behind was clean in the early days with Salmon in it and I would imagine that the water was released into the Don with all the cloraphene would have caused a few problems for the fish, as it happens the factorys arrived and did that anyway.

Could you smell the chlorine in the pool and bath area?

Did people get a bar of soap when they used the slipper baths at the back? What soap was it?

I recall the chlorine but we took our own soap and towel. It will have been around 1959 when we started going there. The changing room was downstairs, clothes left on the bench. Happy days.....:hihi: