How long does a tax refund take

I have sent all my details to the tax office for a refund as I left a job last may and did not receive any rebate though I paid too much tax its been 2 weeks now will my new employer ave to pay it or is it up to the tax office I youad ave thought tho that if it was up to my new employer I would ave received it last year?

its all upto the tax office, i had one last year in march. they ended up owing me £500 quid and it took around 6-8weeks for the cheque to come

When I had this problem HMRC took the proverbial.

Send them whatever proof they need, then they'll send you a new tax code, they'll also send a new tax code to your employer, now if your employer receives this before your cut off date they can implement it before your next pay day.

But it took while for me, they took the wrong tax in November, I got it back when I was paid at the end of January, even though I sent the documents off straight away.

Depends when your employers cut off date, if HMRC send them the new tax code before like, around the 10th of the month you'll get that tax back in your next pay packet, if not it will be next months.

Oh and don't expect an apology from them, they taxed me 40% on the month before Christmas when I don't earn enough to pay tax and it was a mistake on their part.

No apologies.

Edited by Forumosaurus

i know its not about this but what is the tax code for emergency tax

Think mine was 747L. Then they issued me with a new one, but that was just to get tax free, then they had to issue me with another one which refunded the tax I'd paid.

Think mine was 747L. Then they issued me with a new one, but that was just to get tax free, then they had to issue me with another one which refunded the tax I'd paid.

That's the basic (standard) tax code, not the emergency one.

Emergency tax code states "week one" on your payslip

Well I have already received a new tax code that came with another for the job I left last year so I rang them up and this is when they said send the documents they asked for and they issued me with the right tax code for the one job I have now got for some reason they still had me down as working 2 jobs even though they got my p45/46 last year they don't check details much do they or they would ave known

I get paid last working day of month cut off point is a week before the last day of the month

That's the basic (standard) tax code, not the emergency one.

the emergency tax code is the standard tax code, but you are taxed on a week1/month1 basis rather than cumulatively

I have sent all my details to the tax office for a refund as I left a job last may and did not receive any rebate though I paid too much tax its been 2 weeks now will my new employer ave to pay it or is it up to the tax office I youad ave thought tho that if it was up to my new employer I would ave received it last year?

what is the refund for?

if it is for overpayment of PAYE for the current tax year then as long as you gave your new employer your P45 any refund will be dealt with through the normal PAYE payroll process. It's not really a refund though, you simply dont pay any tax until you have earned enough to equal the tax you have already paid.

if the refund is for anything else then if it is for less than about £500 the tax office will normally adjust your tax code, if it's for anything more then you will probably get a cheque.

however, you may have to wait until after the end of the tax year before any refund/adjustments are made.