Air Cadets for GIRLS 11-20yrs old

The Girls Venture Corps Air Cadets is a uniformed youth organisation for girls aged between 11- 20. We are currently recruiting!

We are based at Shirecliffe Community Centre, S5. We offer so many activities including flying, gliding, rifle shooting, camping, Duke of Edinburgh Award, First Aid courses, camping, skiing, trips abroad, watersports and so so much more. This past time also looks great for CV's and the CREST award counts for UCAS points.

If you think you know someone who loves a bit of adventure and making new friends then give me a message and I'll point you in the right direction. Or, you can drop into one of our evenings; open every Thursday 7:15pm - 9:30pm

We have a special open night on the 18th February 2016 and in preparation, the unit will be closed on the 11th.

Thanks.

Miss M

Edited by Miss M
Updated info and dates

I used to be in Air Cadets- 366 Squadron at Dore which was for girls and boys. Loved it :)

I used to be in Air Cadets- 366 Squadron at Dore which was for girls and boys. Loved it :)

yep atc is the proper air cadets as opposed to the girls venture corps that discriminates against boys,

there are still lots of good atc squadrons in sheffield

Thanks Sheffgrow - just the kind of slating a charity needs.

I was replying to godstar, as he was obviously in the ATC and as you can see I was supporting a charitable organisation as the ATC is classed as a charity,

I hope you get more people to attend as anything that teaches discipline and gets kids doing something other than sat in the house is a good thing, however I think the ATC is better

Edited by sheffgrow

Wouldn't the girls be better off in the ATC as it's more inclusive?

This thread isn't for discussion about the ATC. The GVCAC is a fantastic organisation and we just wanted to share our name and hopefully get some recruits. The Sheffield unit has been running for over 40 years and formed from the Womens Junior Air Corps which disbanded after the war.

Please PM me if you would like any more info.

Don't need anymore info thanks. The reason I mentioned the ATC is because my son was a member. It was great to see the teamwork involved in their activities, both boys and girls.

I'm sure your organisation is worthy, however it seems an anachronism now to divide the sexes.

I can agree, snailyboy (really I can) but it's not under my control. Just like we still have girls' schools etc it's just one of those things.

But I do find it less intimidating. Also for parents as I can empathise with those who worry about having their daughter go on camping trips and activities with boys.

Is there a weekly charge? Does uniform have to be bought etc? Very interested for my 11 year old!

We are honoured to deliver first aid courses at the GVCAC, they are a great group of people. They are disciplined, but still great fun. They get to do some great activities. I would highly recommend the unit.

@honeyb35 - I can't message you back as your inbox is full!