Which bits of the city centre can/can't you cycle through?

I've just started cycling to work (I've picked a great time of the year I know) and I have to go through the city centre. I've noticed that in a few places they have these blue signs on the pavements and pedestrianised bits with a bike and a person, which I'm guessing means cyclists are fine to cycle on the pedestrian parts, but then it just stops. and turns into normal pedestrianised bits.

Is there a sort of surefire rule to this or are you just supposed to use your own judgement? I want to stay off the roads as much as possible because I cycle in rush hour and drivers get impatient and angry in rush hour, but at the same time I don't wanna risk knocking some little old lady down

Also....are you allowed to cycle across the top of Park Square? How else do you get from one side of park square to the other on a bicycle? There's no way I'm riding round that roundabout.

I've just started cycling to work (I've picked a great time of the year I know) and I have to go through the city centre. I've noticed that in a few places they have these blue signs on the pavements and pedestrianised bits with a bike and a person, which I'm guessing means cyclists are fine to cycle on the pedestrian parts, but then it just stops. and turns into normal pedestrianised bits.

Is there a sort of surefire rule to this or are you just supposed to use your own judgement? I want to stay off the roads as much as possible because I cycle in rush hour and drivers get impatient and angry in rush hour, but at the same time I don't wanna risk knocking some little old lady down

Also....are you allowed to cycle across the top of Park Square? How else do you get from one side of park square to the other on a bicycle? There's no way I'm riding round that roundabout.

yes lots of people cycle over the square, i guess the thing to do is use the roads as much as possible and try not to let the car drivers bully you. cycling on pavements even when they have cycle lanes painted on one side of them are not good enough, a for you or b for the pedestrian that always wanders all over the place. so much better to get used to fighting with traffic for space on the roads.

As long as you are considerate to pedestrians I don't see it matters where you ride.

As long as you are considerate to pedestrians I don't see it matters where you ride.

whooaa, wait for it....... lots of people will start quoting the traffic road act!!!

Where you are allowed to ride and where cyclists actually ride in the city centre seldom coincide. I once got off tram at Fitzalan Sq with some work colleagues, crossed over to go for meal at Chinese restaurant when a gormless twerp on footpath thought it OK to weave in between us. I pointed out politely that it was a footpath and all I got in response was a two finger gesture:roll:

Just in case you don't know. On the Sheffield.gov.uk website, look at the cycling section in roads and transport, and you can download a series of maps showing where cycle paths, tracks etc are.

I think there is an entrance up a ramp from wharf street onto the top of park square. I've just tried to look on Google but couldn't get close enough to view for certain. But if there is a way up, then presumably there is a way down.

Where are you trying to commute to and from? Some people may be able to advise routes

It's all a bit hodge-podge in the pedestrianised areas. You can cycle up Charles street, you can cycle across Barker's pool. You can't cycle on Fargate or the Moor but you can cycle across the back of the Peace gardens.

I say open it all up to cyclists. It works well on Barkers Pool so it should work on Fargate as well.

It's all a bit hodge-podge in the pedestrianised areas. You can cycle up Charles street, you can cycle across Barker's pool. You can't cycle on Fargate or the Moor but you can cycle across the back of the Peace gardens.

I say open it all up to cyclists. It works well on Barkers Pool so it should work on Fargate as well.

Aye, that'd be fun when the food market is on!

Aye, that'd be fun when the food market is on!

There are often markets on Barkers Pool as well. People cycle considerately and at appropriate speeds. It works.

There are often markets on Barkers Pool as well. People cycle considerately and at appropriate speeds. It works.

On Fargate you can't even walk down when the market is on

There are some places suitable for cycles that aren't suitable for cars, but there are some places suitable for pedestrins that aren't suitable for cycles