Caffeine and the alleviation of depression

(Not sure if it would be more appropriate to post this in the disability section or in here).

A few months ago I started drinking what you might term “real” coffee. By real, I mean the ground stuff that is filtered. (I kept it simple-just a plastic funnel & and some coffee filter papers-no special machine). Also using coffee with a high caffeine content.

One of the positive “side” effects was that the effects of the caffeine (presumably) lifted the dark mood of depression. I drink about 3 or 4 mugs of coffee as & when required now. I have to say that for me it really does work.

Has anyone else found this to work. I should say that I do not take anything else, so it is pretty conclusive.

Cool if it works for you, personally I find I can't drink coffee as it serves to accelerate my anxiety :(

As booshie says, whilst the caffeine may lift a dark mood, it can also have other, undesired, consequences, such as causing anxiety, increasing blood pressure and heart rate and causing headaches.

Have you been checked over by your GP and had your heart and blood pressure checked to make sure that this is not a significant risk for you?

Cool if it works for you, personally I find I can't drink coffee as it serves to accelerate my anxiety :(

:hihi: If I have too much coffee I feel all jumpy and twitchy, it does make me have a anxiety/sicky feeling.

I remember going on a day interview and drinking about 7 cups of coffee throughout the proccess, I got the job but learnt not to drink coffee again at interview. :hihi: It had an amazing duiretic effect and make me feel almost shakey and sick, alongside with the adrenaline from being nervous it was not a nice feeling.

interviews with no coffee are a much nicer affair!

I've never come across anything linking caffeine with depression and I certainly know lots of people who drink proper coffee and still suffer from it.

Are you sure it wasn't just a coincidence?

I drink a cup of fresh coffee per day. I've previously read that regular ground coffee drinkers have lower incidences of cognitive impairment in old age. It can also alleviate asthma symptoms. Here is a link to a trustworthy site so you can read all about it. http://www.newscientist.com/search?doSearch=true&query=coffee

(Not sure if it would be more appropriate to post this in the disability section or in here).

A few months ago I started drinking what you might term “real” coffee. By real, I mean the ground stuff that is filtered. (I kept it simple-just a plastic funnel & and some coffee filter papers-no special machine). Also using coffee with a high caffeine content.

One of the positive “side” effects was that the effects of the caffeine (presumably) lifted the dark mood of depression. I drink about 3 or 4 mugs of coffee as & when required now. I have to say that for me it really does work.

Has anyone else found this to work. I should say that I do not take anything else, so it is pretty conclusive.

It works for you so it doesn't really matter about others. Coffee doesn't work for me, I drink it for pleasure tbh.

As booshie says, whilst the caffeine may lift a dark mood, it can also have other, undesired, consequences, such as causing anxiety, increasing blood pressure and heart rate and causing headaches.

Have you been checked over by your GP and had your heart and blood pressure checked to make sure that this is not a significant risk for you?

Anxiety + stress = weight gain around the belly.

mart

all the caffeine is doing is giving you a high and will do you no harm,the same high can be obtained by exercise and is why people get obsessed with going to the gym.myself included

have you tried the fabulous gourmet healthy coffee Organo Gold? It tastes divine and has 100% organic Ganoderma Extract in it, which is well known to support the immune system and promote wellbeing, and is naturally low in caffeine being lower than decaff! Organo Gold is also organically produced and fair trade.