Renting out a property --- legal question

My partner is renting out her property.

In the back garden there is a large fish pond (around 4 sq metres).

It is raised up about 60 cm above the ground.

She has been told by the rental agent that she MUST fill it in and cannot leave it for the tenant, that covering it is not sufficient.

That if an accident occurs that it will be her fault.

Are there any solicitors on here that can comment on this. Seems a bit over the top to me.

Edited by heavenlyarts

She has been told by the rental agent that she MUST fill it in and cannot leave it for the tenant, that covering it is not sufficient.

Are there any solicitors on here that can comment on this. Seems a bit over the top to me.

I know the council will allow the construction of a pond with permission and will also let an house that already as one, so I can’t imagine there will be a law to prevent the letting of a private house with a pond.

The agent may not only be worried about liability for pond-related incidents, but also the maintenance of the pond. As the landlord, you'll be expected to maintain it as part of the property upkeep. The agent may be just advising on what's best.

Either way, I'd check with the agent and if you don't get the answer you want, speak to another agent. I can recommend one we've let our house out with if you PM me,

I'm sorry I'm not a solicitor, but that notion seems to me to be Health and Safety gone nuts! If that's the case, you better not have a bath installed in the premises either, cos someone might fall into that and have a nasty accident. Oh and staircases too can be highly dangerous!

Of course I'm being ridiculous (nothing unusual there!), but IMHO the whole premise that you've got to fill in a pond is ludicrous! :hihi: