South Yorkshire Police helicopter MEGATHREAD (excl. sightings)

Do you agree that the Police helicopter should be scrapped?  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree that the Police helicopter should be scrapped?

• Yes I agree
    • No I don't
    • I don't care
    • I''m a criminal, so I do agree

The copper chopper is worth its weight in gold as a crime fighting tool. The tories are always going to target our city for deep cuts. Which areas is London sharing their copper choppers with by the way? Or do they have several of their own?

whats wrong with a remote control

whats wrong with a remote control

The copper chopper can put police on the ground and has done so in some instances. Could remote control do this?:roll:

How many policemen does the helicopter carry ordinarily?

If you're going to put police on the ground, don't you have to put them in the air first? To do that, doesn't the helicopter have to fly to where the police are, land, load them, take off and fly back again?

Have the police in Sheffield sold off all their cars?

It's only about a week or so ago that we were reading (on this forum) that Sheffield i such a low-crime area.

If it'S a low-crime area, why does it need a police helicopter?

More to the point, would spending money on a helicopter (expensive things to run) be more cost-effective than spending the same money on police in cars?

The crime is lower than some cities. The helicopter helps keep it that way. If it was not doing a good job, it would have gone many moons ago. The only reason that we may lose it now is because the tories are in. They will always punish what they see as labour strongholds by whatever means they can. That is what tories do. They are scum.

You really do have a hang up about that political party, don't you? :hihi:

Do you think there would be more money if Milliband was in power? Have you forgotten Darling's promise to 'cut deeper than Thatcher' and both Milliband's and Balls' refusal to agree that they would reduce or eliminate cuts made by Cameron and Clegg?

There is not enough money to pay for all the services people might like. Something has to go (probably a lot of things.)

From an FOI request:

Q: I would like to know the annual maintenance costs and the cost of pilots, equipment, training etc.

A: The total operating budget for 2008/09 for the Air Operations Unit is £1,279,471 including fuel, maintenance costs, insurance costs, equipment, pilots and engineers costs and aviation fees.

£1,27million 4 years ago. £1,5 million now? (Does that include a reserve to buy a new one when the present craft needs replacement?)

You could always pass around a hat and collect. £3 a head from every man, woman and child would run the helicopter for a year.

You really do have a hang up about that political party, don't you? :hihi:

Do you think there would be more money if Milliband was in power? Have you forgotten Darling's promise to 'cut deeper than Thatcher' and both Milliband's and Balls' refusal to agree that they would reduce or eliminate cuts made by Cameron and Clegg?

There is not enough money to pay for all the services people might like. Something has to go (probably a lot of things.)

From an FOI request:

Q: I would like to know the annual maintenance costs and the cost of pilots, equipment, training etc.

A: The total operating budget for 2008/09 for the Air Operations Unit is £1,279,471 including fuel, maintenance costs, insurance costs, equipment, pilots and engineers costs and aviation fees.

£1,27million 4 years ago. £1,5 million now? (Does that include a reserve to buy a new one when the present craft needs replacement?)

You could always pass around a hat and collect. £3 a head from every man, woman and child would run the helicopter for a year.

We need to look at the cost of losing the helicopter. Nobody knows what that is.

As for tories , I do not have any hang ups.They are scum.

Because you have to.

Does every other place in the UK have a police helicopter?

Apparently (according to a poster on another thread) Sheffield Council tax is rather higher than the council tax in Milton Keynes.

Why is that?

The last time I lived in S. Yorkshire, the council seemed to subsidise everything they could think of. You could get a bus from nearly anywhere to nearly anywhere else every 10 minutes and the fare was 10p. (Few people actually used the buses, so you never had to stand.)

All the subsidies cost money. Lots of money - and the rates went up. So people moved out. Companies became less willing to set up shop in S. Yorks.

Because you have to.

Does every other place in the UK have a police helicopter?

Apparently (according to a poster on another thread) Sheffield Council tax is rather higher than the council tax in Milton Keynes.

Why is that?

The last time I lived in S. Yorkshire, the council seemed to subsidise everything they could think of. You could get a bus from nearly anywhere to nearly anywhere else every 10 minutes and the fare was 10p. (Few people actually used the buses, so you never had to stand.)

All the subsidies cost money. Lots of money - and the rates went up. So people moved out. Companies became less willing to set up shop in S. Yorks.

You are absolutely right in your implications. Sheffield used to be a great place to live, now it is not. Thatcher (the old tory slut) saw to that.:)

Sheffield is a major city. It should have a helicopter.

If it really wants one, why not have a whip-around?

There you go then.