Piracy student from Sheffield can be extradited to US

But Richard O'Dwyer knew exactly what he was doing and benefited financially from his actions?

How come he hasn't been arrested in this country?

At the end of the day he broke no laws in the USA and is not subject to the laws there, so why is he being sent there to face trial?

He should have been arrested, he knew what he was doing was wrong!

Edited by esme
quote tags

At the end of the day he broke no laws in the USA and is not subject to the laws there, so why is he being sent there to face trial?

As far as I understand he broke (or was complicit in breaking) international copyrite laws which affected the American film industry.

He knew what he was doing and thought he was bulletproof!

But Richard O'Dwyer knew exactly what he was doing and benefited financially from his actions?

The lad has broken no laws and has not behaved badly. He has just annoyed some powerful people.

Sheffield Hallam student Richard O'Dwyer faces upto ten years in a US prison for setting up a website linking to TV programmes and films. No crime has been committed in the U.K. but the extradition is going ahead. Sign the petition to stop the extradition at change.org http://www.change.org/petitions/ukhomeoffice-stop-the-extradition-of-richard-o-dwyer-to-the-usa-saverichard

Thats what comes of having a government with no balls and who is in the back pocket of the yanks.

Its a different story when we try to extradite a yank.

They simply dont play ball. The system is totally one way and totally unfair.

So what?

Are you saying if i rip off Asda or Best buy or some other American owned store then the americans can extradite me because A i knew what i was doing and B i may have made a few quid?

I dont see the yanks jumping up and down wanting to extradite the smack rats who rape their sores on a daily basis trying to make enough for their fix!!!!

So what?

Are you saying if i rip off Asda or Best buy or some other American owned store then the americans can extradite me because A i knew what i was doing and B i may have made a few quid?

I dont see the yanks jumping up and down wanting to extradite the smack rats who rape their sores on a daily basis trying to make enough for their fix!!!!

No because that would be a local law in a British owned store with a franchised name.

O'dwier (allegedly) broke an international law

As far as I understand he broke (or was complicit in breaking) international copyrite laws which affected the American film industry.

He knew what he was doing and thought he was bulletproof!

He's a kid in his bedroom, surely there needs to be some proportionality here.

And do you honestly believe he knew the exact nuances of international Copyright Law and that he could be extradited to face 10 years? Because I don't and I bet he didn't!

He's a kid in his bedroom, surely there needs to be some proportionality here.

And do you honestly believe he knew the exact nuances of international Copyright Law and that he could be extradited to face 10 years? Because I don't and I bet he didn't!

Pure conjecture, and ignorance of the law is not a defence. (not conjecture)

Pure conjecture, and ignorance of the law is not a defence. (not conjecture)

Ignorance of the law is not even relevant. He has not broken any laws; not here in the UK, where what he did was entirely legal, nor in the USA, since he's never been there and so cannot have committed any act there.

No because that would be a local law in a British owned store with a franchised name.

O'dwier (allegedly) broke an international law

Bad examples but change asda and bb to two American owned, non franchised names.

Its hard to believe that some people on this forum are happy to see a British lad face ten years in a foreign prison when he has committed no crime in this country. Where is the sense of fair play?