96 members have voted

1. 1. Should Smoking Be Banned Period

• Yes
    • No
    • Yes, But Only In Public Spaces
    • Yes, But Only in Places Serving Food
    • No, Smoking should be made cheaper, it's unfair that we're taxed so much
    • Show me the answers

Well as I understand it they would be out of pocket by about 7.5 Billion..... I don't fancy the tax increase to cover that one.

Look this is simple isn't it.

Unless you are an eco-warrior you can't really complain about people smoking can you.

me and bladesgirl both smoke, we get our fags abroad, LEGALLY, we dont buy them off some guy in a pub for £3.50 a packet, we went away in sept, and brought enough duty free to last us till feb till we go to Amsterdam for a few days, then bring enough back to last us till September '06.

The government charges us far too much tax on cigs as it is, if cigs were banned/outlawed, how much would they loose on tax, and where they try and make up the shortfall?

At the moment, Im smoking 20 fags which cost me 1.5 euro, which is about a pound, compared to £4.00 odd in the UK, so i would guess about £2-80 is tax.

I smoke, I wanna smoke, I choose to do it, it affects my health, big deal, surely thats my perrogative to do with MY LIFE AS I CHOOSE, and I dont inflict it on others, unless Im in a pub, then I only try to sit closer to other smokers,and I pay my taxes on this,that and t'other, so please stop digging at us smokers, banning cigs WILL never happen.:rant:

If you're going to have smoking and drinking you might aswell have the illegal drugs- legal .. imagine the tax the government could put on them - woooo!

If not - Smoking and drinking should be banned. It should'nt be contradictory. It always amuses me on things like Face party : I like to get drunk: I HATE drugs.

Its like whatttt?

After all smoking does wayyy more damage than the illegal drugs.

Smokers pay far more in tax's than it takes to look after them when there lungs turn black and they die.

I'm not sure we could afford to ban smoking as the tax revenue smoking generates probably pays for a lot of the luxuries us non smokers are used to.

we should probably be thanking the smokers for putting so much more into our society.

:)

If you are going to ban smoking then why not alcohol they are both drugs that kill people. And I like alcohol and not smoking so not really something I could really support either way. Besides the govt need the taxes for their fat bonuses.

i dont think smoking should be banned outright we ban to many things ban cigs today whats next drinking alchohol it would just go on &on we,d finish up not doing anything

Originally posted by futura2000

If you're going to have smoking and drinking you might aswell have the illegal drugs- legal .. imagine the tax the government could put on them - woooo!

If not - Smoking and drinking should be banned. It should'nt be contradictory. It always amuses me on things like Face party : I like to get drunk: I HATE drugs.

Its like whatttt?

After all smoking does wayyy more damage than the illegal drugs.

Imagine the "back pocket money" the drugs bring though :hihi: well out does the TAX!!

Originally posted by Hippy

Look this is simple isn't it.

Unless you are an eco-warrior you can't really complain about people smoking can you.

if that statement is on the "glass houses and stones" theory, then no one would ever have the right to complain about anything.

Originally posted by Klix

we should probably be thanking the smokers for putting so much more into our society.

:)

I'll try and remember smokers are doing us all a favour, the next time the foul stench of cigarettes drifts all the way up from one end of The Moor to the other :|

Why, oh why, is the smell always worse on a cold day? Does smoking keep people warm or something :huh:

Why stop at banning smoking in public only, what about unfortunate children who are forced to breathe in their parents' second hand smoke at home?

Should these children be exposed to a greater risk of asthma?

And assuming more poor people than rich ones smoke, is it right that the income of poorer childrens' parents is being wasted on cigarettes? It upsets me to see poor people spending so much on tobacco and alcohol products at supermarkets that they have to buy poor cheaper, less- nutritious food for their children. Priorities, eh :roll:

It wouldn't be the end of civilisation if smoking and drinking were banned fully. We can still enjoy life by other, 'cleaner' methods.

Go for a walk in the park, go for a drive in the country, play sports with your friends, visit some of our many libraries, museums and galleries.

Or go to Meadowhall, for Heavens sake.

We're always boasting to outsiders at how friendly Sheffielders are, and how our great city not only has plenty of parks and woodland within its boundaries, but is also surrounded by beautiful countryside.

We can talk forever about its great industrial heritage; there are working museums dedicated to this (Abbeydale Industrial hamlet and Kelham Island, for instance)

Go on, my Fellow Sheffielders, why not put our money where our collective mouth is and make use of the features we are blessed enough to have access to?

Rant finished, let me wish you and your families all a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year :thumbsup:

you can only legislate so far in order to protect minors. If their parents want to smoke with them in the room, it's bad parenting, but is it the goverments job to sort that out? How about banning them from being taken skiiing, afterall it's dangerous (and they get in the way on the slopes)?

And it's definitely way beyond the governments remit to interfere in how someone chooses to spend their money. Way way beyond and so far into big brother territory that it's more like super gigantic brother of doom.

How people choose to enjoy life is up to them, if they want to poison themself because it's fun, that's up to them, it's their body, not yours.

Originally posted by Abdul

Why stop at banning smoking in public only, what about unfortunate children who are forced to breathe in their parents' second hand smoke at home?

Should these children be exposed to a greater risk of asthma?

And assuming more poor people than rich ones smoke, is it right that the income of poorer childrens' parents is being wasted on cigarettes? It upsets me to see poor people spending so much on tobacco and alcohol products at supermarkets that they have to buy poor cheaper, less- nutritious food for their children. Priorities, eh :roll:

It wouldn't be the end of civilisation if smoking and drinking were banned fully. We can still enjoy life by other, 'cleaner' methods.

Go for a walk in the park, go for a drive in the country, play sports with your friends, visit some of our many libraries, museums and galleries.

Or go to Meadowhall, for Heavens sake.

We're always boasting to outsiders at how friendly Sheffielders are, and how our great city not only has plenty of parks and woodland within its boundaries, but is also surrounded by beautiful countryside.

We can talk forever about its great industrial heritage; there are working museums dedicated to this (Abbeydale Industrial hamlet and Kelham Island, for instance)

Go on, my Fellow Sheffielders, why not put our money where our collective mouth is and make use of the features we are blessed enough to have access to?

Rant finished, let me wish you and your families all a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year :thumbsup: