52 Weeks, 52 Photos - My Challenge

ndegwa

Good idea for a project - a 365 appeals but I know I'd never do it - I may borrow your idea if you a) you don't mind and b) I have any photos from the first week of January :)

I actively encourage any one to join in! it keeps you committed!

Good idea for a project - a 365 appeals but I know I'd never do it

I did a 365 in 2010 and I am doing the same again this year. Yes, 90%(*) of the pictures are boring or mundane and it can be a pain in the a*** some days, but there are several bonuses you don't expect.

1) camera familiarity - I used a Canon G10 for most of the pictures in 2010 and by the end I could operate it pretty much blindfold.

2) most the pictures might not be worthy of publication, but they are snaps from your life and over the course of a year they do build up into a kind of story. Take self portraits and pictures of the people around you - you'll be glad you did in 10 years time.

3) you develop an 'eye' because you're always on the lookout for today's picture and always have a camera with you. I got quite good at finding images towards the end of the year.

4) it makes you get out and see things and take pictures. Instead of thinking 'I can't really be mithered with going to the xxx', you're always thinking 'I bet there's a picture in it' and off you go somewhere you haven't been before.

5) occasionally, once in a while, you get a doozy (f/8 and be there; so goes the advice). I got a handful of commercially published pictures out of the project that I wouldn't have done otherwise.

(*) OK, 99% :hihi:

I did a 365 in 2010 and I am doing the same again this year. Yes, 90%(*) of the pictures are boring or mundane and it can be a pain in the a*** some days, but there are several bonuses you don't expect.

1) camera familiarity - I used a Canon G10 for most of the pictures in 2010 and by the end I could operate it pretty much blindfold.

2) most the pictures might not be worthy of publication, but they are snaps from your life and over the course of a year they do build up into a kind of story. Take self portraits and pictures of the people around you - you'll be glad you did in 10 years time.

3) you develop an 'eye' because you're always on the lookout for today's picture and always have a camera with you. I got quite good at finding images towards the end of the year.

4) it makes you get out and see things and take pictures. Instead of thinking 'I can't really be mithered with going to the xxx', you're always thinking 'I bet there's a picture in it' and off you go somewhere you haven't been before.

5) occasionally, once in a while, you get a doozy (f/8 and be there; so goes the advice). I got a handful of commercially published pictures out of the project that I wouldn't have done otherwise.

(*) OK, 99% :hihi:

It does sound good, and I do try and take photos at least weekly - and I do carry my camera most places (which is how come the kit lens has a tiny and annoying scratch on the front element- grr!) but I don't think I'd be able to take a picture I'd want 'the public' to see every day - perhaps I'll do my own 365 on my computer and make a 52 out of the best ones :)

Good luck to you all doing 365 projects, I know from first hand experience that it's hard work keeping going. When I was doing my Sheffield 365 Project in 2010 there were days I really wished I hadn't started it, but looking back I'm really glad I didn't give up.

In fact I missed not doing a big project last year so I've started a 52 project for this year - FiftyTwo Teapots - and you can see the photos at 52teapots.co.uk

• 2 weeks later...

52-3.jpg

Met some of the cast of This is England this weekend and thought it would be fitting to add it to my 52 Challenge. Its a film and series i have loved from the outset so its nice to see them around! The film is was shot in Sheffield and this shot taken in one of the local pubs in the center - The Washington.

This is Fay and Shaun, Real names: Charlotte Tyree & Thomas Turgoose.

Edited by ndegwa
im a dumb s**t for putting wrong characters names on this post!