Sore ankle/walking boot issues

vwkittie

This is a total long shot, but I've googled this with no luck and wondered if any fellow walkers might have experienced anything similar.

Basically one day a couple of years ago I was out walking in my trusty old boots (that I'd had and used for about 5 years) when suddenly I developed a rubbing/burning/sharp pain in my ankle, on the outer edge bony knobble. This then kept happening every time I wore the boots and was so painful I couldn't wear them any more, no pain at all when not wearing the boots except occasionally in bed when laying on side put pressure on the knobble.

I decided to see if rest would cure it and bought some decent walking shoes and have used these for the last couple of years.

Unfortunately the problem hasn't gone away - a few months ago when forced into wearing safety boots at work I was in agony after about 30 mins :(

But the other problem is when I walk longer distances (8 miles plus) in my walking shoes, then I get soreness in the tendon/muscle at the front that joins the top of my foot to my ankle, don't know if this is because there's obviously no ankle support with the shoes :(

Has anyone ever experienced anything like these problems and if so what helped? :help:

This is a total long shot, but I've googled this with no luck and wondered if any fellow walkers might have experienced anything similar.

Basically one day a couple of years ago I was out walking in my trusty old boots (that I'd had and used for about 5 years) when suddenly I developed a rubbing/burning/sharp pain in my ankle, on the outer edge bony knobble. This then kept happening every time I wore the boots and was so painful I couldn't wear them any more, no pain at all when not wearing the boots except occasionally in bed when laying on side put pressure on the knobble.

I decided to see if rest would cure it and bought some decent walking shoes and have used these for the last couple of years.

Unfortunately the problem hasn't gone away - a few months ago when forced into wearing safety boots at work I was in agony after about 30 mins :(

But the other problem is when I walk longer distances (8 miles plus) in my walking shoes, then I get soreness in the tendon/muscle at the front that joins the top of my foot to my ankle, don't know if this is because there's obviously no ankle support with the shoes :(

Has anyone ever experienced anything like these problems and if so what helped? :help:

Never happened to me, sorry.

To be honest, it sounds more like a problem with your ankle/foot. It could be muscular, but I am no doctor so couldn't say for certain. I would advise you to see your GP (if you haven't already), at least to rule things out :)

There are quite a few conditions which are particular to 'walkers' due to the extra stress we put on our feet and ankles. I think you could go and see a podiatrist to ask about this. You should be able to get referred to one from your GP.

Thanks I think I will try the GP, I was sceptical about doing so as I can't really see what could be done about it, as it's just a solid bit of bone as far as I know :confused:

Still can't find anything on the net about that sort of pain, I must be an oddball :hihi:

Thanks I think I will try the GP, I was sceptical about doing so as I can't really see what could be done about it, as it's just a solid bit of bone as far as I know :confused:

Still can't find anything on the net about that sort of pain, I must be an oddball :hihi:

Any news on the ankle?

• 3 weeks later...

I have exactly the same problem. About 4 months ago I too suddenly developed a pain on my ankle. This was on the inside of my ankle, appearing to be on the bone near the bit that sticks out. I couldn't wear my boots for more than a few steps without getting severe pain. There was, and still is, no problems or pain at all in wearing a shoe. I bought a pair of walking shoes and have walked over 10 miles in them. Although my ankle has improved a bit I still cannot wear my boots more than about 10 minutes before experiencing pain. Three weeks ago I went to see my GP. I have had a x-ray (it is normal), and a blood test (normal, no gout). He has sent me to see a physiotherapist - booked for next week.

• 1 month later...

Help !!!!! I have exactly the same problem. 10 miles into a 20 mile walk the pain was so excruciating that I had to tie my laces really tight so I literally couldn't move my ankle. Obviously went out and bought walking shoes - can't even think about wearing the boots again.

What are we going to do ????

Although not same problem i broke mine in a motorcycle accident but have major problems most of time and use this but mine was supplied by hospital dont know if it would be any good for yours.http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Swede-O-Ankle-Lok-Foot-Brace-Support-Large-10-to-11-5-/150763476744?pt=UK_Health_Beauty_Mobility_Disability_Medical_ET&hash=item231a341708