Sore ankle/walking boot issues

This is a total long shot, but I've googled this with no luck and wondered if any fellow walkers might have experienced anything similar.

Basically one day a couple of years ago I was out walking in my trusty old boots (that I'd had and used for about 5 years) when suddenly I developed a rubbing/burning/sharp pain in my ankle, on the outer edge bony knobble. This then kept happening every time I wore the boots and was so painful I couldn't wear them any more, no pain at all when not wearing the boots except occasionally in bed when laying on side put pressure on the knobble.

I decided to see if rest would cure it and bought some decent walking shoes and have used these for the last couple of years.

Unfortunately the problem hasn't gone away - a few months ago when forced into wearing safety boots at work I was in agony after about 30 mins :(

But the other problem is when I walk longer distances (8 miles plus) in my walking shoes, then I get soreness in the tendon/muscle at the front that joins the top of my foot to my ankle, don't know if this is because there's obviously no ankle support with the shoes :(

Has anyone ever experienced anything like these problems and if so what helped? :help:

Also a longshot, you say you bought shoes after boot, could it be a reaction to the socks rubbing on you bone with boots on?

This is a total long shot, but I've googled this with no luck and wondered if any fellow walkers might have experienced anything similar.

Basically one day a couple of years ago I was out walking in my trusty old boots (that I'd had and used for about 5 years) when suddenly I developed a rubbing/burning/sharp pain in my ankle, on the outer edge bony knobble. This then kept happening every time I wore the boots and was so painful I couldn't wear them any more, no pain at all when not wearing the boots except occasionally in bed when laying on side put pressure on the knobble.

I decided to see if rest would cure it and bought some decent walking shoes and have used these for the last couple of years.

Unfortunately the problem hasn't gone away - a few months ago when forced into wearing safety boots at work I was in agony after about 30 mins :(

But the other problem is when I walk longer distances (8 miles plus) in my walking shoes, then I get soreness in the tendon/muscle at the front that joins the top of my foot to my ankle, don't know if this is because there's obviously no ankle support with the shoes :(

Has anyone ever experienced anything like these problems and if so what helped? :help:

Never happened to me, sorry.

To be honest, it sounds more like a problem with your ankle/foot. It could be muscular, but I am no doctor so couldn't say for certain. I would advise you to see your GP (if you haven't already), at least to rule things out :)

There are quite a few conditions which are particular to 'walkers' due to the extra stress we put on our feet and ankles. I think you could go and see a podiatrist to ask about this. You should be able to get referred to one from your GP.

Thanks I think I will try the GP, I was sceptical about doing so as I can't really see what could be done about it, as it's just a solid bit of bone as far as I know :confused:

Still can't find anything on the net about that sort of pain, I must be an oddball :hihi:

Thanks I think I will try the GP, I was sceptical about doing so as I can't really see what could be done about it, as it's just a solid bit of bone as far as I know :confused:

Still can't find anything on the net about that sort of pain, I must be an oddball :hihi:

Any news on the ankle?

I have exactly the same problem. About 4 months ago I too suddenly developed a pain on my ankle. This was on the inside of my ankle, appearing to be on the bone near the bit that sticks out. I couldn't wear my boots for more than a few steps without getting severe pain. There was, and still is, no problems or pain at all in wearing a shoe. I bought a pair of walking shoes and have walked over 10 miles in them. Although my ankle has improved a bit I still cannot wear my boots more than about 10 minutes before experiencing pain. Three weeks ago I went to see my GP. I have had a x-ray (it is normal), and a blood test (normal, no gout). He has sent me to see a physiotherapist - booked for next week.

Help !!!!! I have exactly the same problem. 10 miles into a 20 mile walk the pain was so excruciating that I had to tie my laces really tight so I literally couldn't move my ankle. Obviously went out and bought walking shoes - can't even think about wearing the boots again.

What are we going to do ????

Although not same problem i broke mine in a motorcycle accident but have major problems most of time and use this but mine was supplied by hospital dont know if it would be any good for yours.http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Swede-O-Ankle-Lok-Foot-Brace-Support-Large-10-to-11-5-/150763476744?pt=UK_Health_Beauty_Mobility_Disability_Medical_ET&hash=item231a341708

I've been very bad and haven't been to docs yet... I managed to find a cheap pair of walking boots (karrimor at the factory outlet shop) that were higher than my shoes so give a bit of support but have a sort of cut out bit for the ankle 'knobble' and so far those seem to be pretty good although I've not yet risked walking any great distance in them, they were fine for a couple of hours though.

But now I've got a new foot problem (pain underneath on the outside edge of right foot whenever I put weight on it for more than a few steps) and can't actually walk at all so will definitely be going to the docs as soon as I can get an appointment so will ask about the ankle at the same time.

Grahamf - hope you come back and let us know what the physio said??

Well it turns out I've got tendonitus in my foot :(

Has anyone else had this? I'm going spare being unable to walk properly :(

Edit - if you have had this how long did it take to heal? I've had it about three weeks now and it's properly throbbing right now!