Has anyone noticed more scale in their water ?

Is it just me or does there seem to be more scale in the Sheffield water than there used to be ? I realise it may be Señor Senility coming to town, but as far as I can remember we never used to get much scale in our kettle at all (and never in the resulting cup of tea), but, possibly for about a year, we`re regularly having to wash the scale out of our kettle.

Don`t get me wrong, it`s no where as bad as hard water areas (like the water in Reading where my parents live) but it definitely seems to have got worse.

We live in North Sheffield, is it worse there, or about the same all over the city ?

Has anyone else in Sheffield noticed an increase in the limescale in their water ?

I know that sheffield water smells and tastes terrible".chemically". we have to use a fillter.not so much scale, have lived down south and theirs is really bad.

Back in September, Yorkshire Water posted on here about changes in water hardness

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=854064

I've definitely noticed an increase in limescale build up, and my water often smells of bleach. I'm going to invest in a filter because am sick of a 'scummy top' whenever I make a brew!

I had to buy a water filter a few years ago as we were getting scum on the top of my cup of tea!! Eugh

It would be useful if people would mention what areas are affected. I'm in S11 and haven't noticed any difference yet.

I hope I never do. I've lived in hard water areas and it's a pain as soap never lathers and tea tastes worse and gets a scum on top of it. It's also more expensive as dishwashers and washing machines get furred up and need replacing more often and you have to buy various de-scaling products.

I would also need to put salt in my dishwasher if the water turns hard, something I've never needed to do yet.

Edited by Nagel

During the summer drought Yorkshire water had to use more river water to help supplies. They said that this might increase the build up of scale. However we've had a good deal of rain since then and every reservoir I've seen is full to the brim so you'd think supplies would be back to normal?

Edited by Paddy

However we've had a good deal of rain since then and every reservoir I've seen is full to the brim so you'd think supplies would be back to normal?

Some of the reservoirs are still quite low.

I'm in S6 and the water is improving from the summer but it's still a bit off.

I drank Spanish water straight from the tap for a few years.Sheffield water is like perrier compared....But in S6 there does seem to be more scale in the kettle.

I started going to the University of Reading in 2010, and was always bragging to my southern friends about how we never need to use water filters up north. However, returning to Sheffield to visit my parents has left me with a bad taste in my mouth - the water used to taste so good, it's such a shame it's not the same any more =/

I thought it was just me, i'm glad i'm not imagining it! I'm in Chapeltown and i've noticed the scale in my kettle and the bleachy taste, I drink loads of water and can't bear the taste of it straight from the tap any more. Its only been really noticeable for the past 6 months or so, never had a problem before.