Issues with Windows 7

Norseman

Hello,

I have recently purchased a new computer with Windows 7 on it and I have an annoying problem with it.

When first switched on it asked for a "Password" and a clue to it which is fine however if the computer is left alone for anytime longer than 12 seconds if I try to use it again I have reinput this password in order to use the pc and this is a real pain in the bum to do this all the time.

I am a regular user of a computer however I am completely new to Windows 7 which to say is somewhat different to the previous operating systems.

Can anyone inform me how to either disable this function or prevent this from occurring every 12 seconds and to extend it to say 10 minutes. The help menu is completely unhelpful! aaargh!:(

Thank you

Hi all,

Its the Windows password, nothing to do with screensavers. If I leave the pc alone any longer than 12 seconds I have to enter the password to access the computer again which when this is done 20-30 times a day is very frustrating to say the least.

I will have a look in the accounts section and see if I can disable it from there, otherwise I may need further advice. PC World were as usual not remotely helpful unless I registered for a £7 a month assistance package.... whatever happened to customer service?

With thanks

totally different problem but still an issue, ive got an iffy copy of windows 7 on my pc, over the last few weeks it pops up that this is not a genuine copy, it still works great, i just wondered will it still work great or will i need to do something about itor will it pack in eventually ???so to speak...this copy has been on my pc for well over a year now.

Hi all,

Its the Windows password, nothing to do with screensavers. If I leave the pc alone any longer than 12 seconds I have to enter the password to access the computer again which when this is done 20-30 times a day is very frustrating to say the least.

I will have a look in the accounts section and see if I can disable it from there, otherwise I may need further advice. PC World were as usual not remotely helpful unless I registered for a £7 a month assistance package.... whatever happened to customer service?

With thanks

This is a real strange issue. Have you done an antivirus check to ensure you are not affected by malware.

Did this issue start after you installed a software or downloaded anything? Have you tried doing a system restore?

I would doubt this has anything to do with the screen saver or standard Microsoft configuration as the minimum value usually is 1 minute as mentioned in earlier posts.

Regards,

A

totally different problem but still an issue, ive got an iffy copy of windows 7 on my pc, over the last few weeks it pops up that this is not a genuine copy, it still works great, i just wondered will it still work great or will i need to do something about itor will it pack in eventually ???so to speak...this copy has been on my pc for well over a year now.

It it's iffy then it's not legal - you would need to contact Microsoft and pay for a licence. While you get that message you will not be allowed to install official updates and leave your system vulnerable.