St Hilda's due for imminent Demolition

I've heard from a resedent living across the road from it that it is becoming a mosque

Doubt it, why knock it down if it was going to be a mosque?

I think it was a nice building and some other use like say a youth club or community centre would have been ideal.

It would have prevented the building being lost and the people using it would have benefited.

Doubt it, why knock it down if it was going to be a mosque?

I think it was a nice building and some other use like say a youth club or community centre would have been ideal.

It would have prevented the building being lost and the people using it would have benefited.

It's yet to be confermed how much there knocking down but they have to do so much to put a dome ontop and if that'll make the cost uneconomical then building new and fresh can be cheaper

latest i heard building work has stopped because of a "accident" health and safety now been brought in appently from what i was told someone fell from the roof

My sister lives bang across from the church, and she has said the work has stopped due to it being a listed building, and the whole roof has got to be replaced

It could have Mafya, could have been used for numerous things but it's gone, shame it couldn't have been used for young people but funding has all been cut or gone all together sadly :(

It was used by young people. As an easily accessible site to vandalise. When the new roof was finished it was climbed on and had tiles ripped off within weeks.

It hasn't yet been completely demolished, last week the roof and half the walls at the front were down. There was no sign of any workmen on or their vehicles at the site.

Any building on that site would be either limited in width from the road or expensive because of the steepness of the site with access only from Windmill Lane.

Edited by dhs1

I went past St Hildas yesterday and it was a very sad sight indeed, a fantastic building in a great location overlooking the area, such a shame.