Phrases & expressions you only ever hear in Sheffield

What's Cocksparrer got to do with Sheff?

It's east end of Laahndan

see sig below

Probably not confined to Sheffield, but I do like the expression all the same. The same expression, substituting fauna that are indigenous to the locale, are used all over the place. When I lived in Newfoundland, people used to say "me old trout."

Murph

Is something 'burned' or 'burnt' as i've seen the latter on some vans, as in 'Burnt tree'..

I sometimes type 'laffing' instead of 'laughing' as well :D

Biggsy :D

It seems that 'earned' is more correct. 'earnt' doesn't appear in many dictionaries.

Edited by Murphy Jnr

I loved these replies - I learned a few things and a lot of the stuff posted brought back happy memories after living away from Sheffield for more than 30 years. I can definitely say that I've never, ever heard the word "bobbar" used anywhere but Sheffield. That one's an absolute classic!

Blokes calling other blokes "luv" also made me laugh, because it reminded me of a day when a bloke I know from Sheff came down to London visit me. We'd just got in the lift in a particularly rough tower block in a particularly rough part of London and as my Sheff mate politely held the lift door open for a particularly rough-looking big Cockney bloke hovering in the lobby, he politely asked "Does tha want to gerrin 'ere wi' me luv"?..... and if I hadn't stepped in pretty quickly with pacifying explanations, the pair of us would have been badly beaten up!

Samshe's post on the "breadcake" scenario also amused me no end, because I had a similar experience, but in reverse, when I first moved to London in 1979. In a sandwich shop, what I asked for was " a chicken and salad breadcake" - what I actually got was a chicken salad sandwich on sliced brown bread...... and a piece of cake!

Similarily with "teacakes". To me, these are basically just breadcakes with a few currants chucked in them - yet when I asked one of my London mates to get me some teacakes when she went to the supermarket, she came back with a box of those McVities chocolate-covered marshmallow thingies? I still haven't quite worked that one out......

On a final note, even after almost 33 years of living away from Sheff, people still laugh at me when I refer to the draining board next to the kitchen sink as the "pot-side". I've never heard a draining board called a pot-side outside of my lovely home town either! Well - that's what my mum always calls it..... and that's good enough for me!

Cheers everybody - and HAPPY NEW YEAR to all

Things I'd never heard til I came to sheffield

nesh

mardy

mash as in making tea, when I got my first temp job here someone asked me 'tha mashin then lass' oh I walked off not knowing what to do!

saying 'bits and bats' instead of 'bits and bobs'

9 while 5 instead of 9 til 5