Phrases & expressions you only ever hear in Sheffield

Potassium Latin name kalium was taken from the word "alkali", which in turn came from Arabic

I'm sure that there must be plenty of phrases and expressions that are never used outside of Sheffield, but the one that I'm particularly thinking of here is the use of the word "kale-eyed" to describe the state of being blind drunk. I'm not even sure if "kale-eyed" is the correct way to spell it. I've raised this important subject with several Sheff born-and-bred friends and family members and although most of them have often used this word, the spelling variations include "kalide", "caylide" and even (God forbid) "Kaleighed". Does anyone know what the correct spelling is - or indeed, where such a word originated from in the first place? And while we are on this subject, can anyone think of any more words/expressions/phrases that are seldom, if ever, heard outside of Sheffield?

I'm sure that there must be plenty of phrases and expressions that are never used outside of Sheffield, but the one that I'm particularly thinking of here is the use of the word "kale-eyed" to describe the state of being blind drunk. I'm not even sure if "kale-eyed" is the correct way to spell it. I've raised this important subject with several Sheff born-and-bred friends and family members and although most of them have often used this word, the spelling variations include "kalide", "caylide" and even (God forbid) "Kaleighed". Does anyone know what the correct spelling is - or indeed, where such a word originated from in the first place? And while we are on this subject, can anyone think of any more words/expressions/phrases that are seldom, if ever, heard outside of Sheffield?

Don't know the spelling but it was in common usage while I was growing up in 50s and 60s. Has it disappeared now?

**** sparra??

Biggsy :)

me owd **** sparra. remember that well. great expression. :hihi:

Face like a wet weekend

Face like a smacked arse

(can I say that?)

Face like a bulldog chewing a wasp.

Mind you,I was brought up in Chesterfield so may have my slang mixed up.:hihi::hihi::hihi:

has any body said, ah do Marra (i don't think that is how you spell it though)

Edited by kidley

Face like a wet weekend

Face like a smacked arse

(can I say that?)

Well. I suppose if your parents didn't love you and you had a bit of the elephant man about you .............

Face like a wet weekend

Face like a smacked arse

(can I say that?)

Mind you,I was brought up in Chesterfield so may have my slang mixed up.:hihi::hihi::hihi:

None of these are Sheffield sayings though.

As a Southern Migrant I think there are a few that shocked me when I first moved here.

I remember when I started my new job I asked a colleague what shift she was on"9 while 5" was her reply. That expression still doesn't make sense to me.

I walked into a sandwhich shop and asked for a "chicken roll with lettuce and cucumber" and the lady looked dumbfounded. "Do you mean a breadcake?" I assumed this was an iced bun or something and said no. This went on for awhile.

I will never forgot the bus driver who looked me straight in the eye and said "Thanks Love", only in Sheffield do men refer to each other as love.

me owd **** sparra. remember that well. great expression. :hihi:

What's Cocksparrer got to do with Sheff?

It's east end of Laahndan

see sig below

Bobbar and essant.

Classic favourites :hihi:

My favourite from when I was young if i was misbehaving my sister would say

Ahhh bobbar your gonna get reyt done

We still say it to each other

My dad used to call me sparra legs! and sparra fart!

If we were naughty he used to give us a 'right rollicking'!

Lol, ahhh the memories!