Julie Dore Needs Your Help

Should Anyone At Sheffield City Council Be Paid More Than £60,000 A Year?  

177 members have voted

1. 1. Should Anyone At Sheffield City Council Be Paid More Than £60,000 A Year?

• No
    • Yes

and I still have to pay your stupid council tax to keep you lot in jobs.

when was the last time you actually read a council tax statement? this also pays for police, firemen, bin collection etc etc etc

I'm sure you'd be one of the first to bitch if this was cut or not run to your exacting standards!

To repeat for the hard of thinking

If you advertise it at £60k you will get good people who can do the job that Mothersole so clearly can't.

In what way can't he do the job?

Yes, my family had need of mental health services as do many others. And, like everything else in this city they failed us miserably. As a result my wife is no longer with us. Happy?

Mental Health Services aren't run by the Council

There are community mental health social care teams but these work closely with the NHS community mental health teams. My grandparents were with dementia were not treated in the way we would have wanted, but the local authority was not the only place to blame, the NHS were at fault so were the privately run care homes

no we don't, just gets me down listening to this bashing all the time. I genuinely care about the provision of care for the people who need it not just in Sheffield it upsets me when I'm classed as a lasy money grabbing scounger, I work for my money.:(

Calm down dear.

If you had bothered to read the whole thread you would have seen my praise for the work done by carers. But, hey, don't let facts get in the way of a good rant.

Mental Health Services aren't run by the Council

The council fund some of them and have withdrawn some funding as part of their savings. It wasn't a pop at the council. It was a factual comment on the state of public service in Sheffield in general.

Yes, private companies who only do so for their own profit.

That's not true though.

Private companies provide a service that satisfies the customer. The customer should decide what's a good service that deserves continued patronage.

There are plenty of private companies that aren't performing too well, but still pay out huge salaries and bonuses.

You can do what you like if it's your business. Start your own. Enjoy.

Senior officers in councils must ensure that their authority maximises it's income opportunities. Many of the funding pots avaiable nowadays are competetive, so they have to make bids. A lot of transport funing is like that. So, in some part they do have to ensure that their organisations pay their way.

Funding pots? Income opportunities? Bids?

:hihi:

The workforce and budget of SCC is roughly the equivalent of a FTSE 100 company, so it might be relevant to compare CEO salaries.

But doesn't SCC just spend money provided without earning it?

We'd like to keep this thread open, but if the personal remarks (which have been removed) continue, we'll close it. Please take this as fair warning.

Thank you.

But doesn't SCC just spend money provided without earning it?

As I've already said, (which you seemed to find somehow amusing) a good deal of Council funding is essentially "earned" by competitive bidding. Some elements of the Council also earn fee income.

Can you explain this "competitive bidding" and how money is "earned" ?