Paramedics new kit addition.

Does anyone know why paramedics have been issued with the military grade Tournequets and the bullit wound trauma packs?

Do they know some thing I don't.

I noticed these in a medic pack whils a medic was administering first aid.

Probably because they deal with gunshot wounds and having to stop bleeding

To make sure they are equipped to deal with whatever situations they may find themselves faced with.

Advances in trauma care are often made in warzones, then transfered back when they are proven. Antibiotics being an example.

Field medicine from the army has brought all sorts of advances in first aid, including a new way of delivering painkillers which involves drilling a hole in the patient's shin bone and administering the painkillers direct into the bone marrow, and use of tourniquet falls under those advances.

I would imagine that only those who are trained properly in their use would be equipped with them though.

Thank you for the educated answers. Same can't be said for the bone answers. (fairyworld14,wornout53).

In response to the others the medic said they have all been issued with this new kit addition.

Field medicine from the army has brought all sorts of advances in first aid, including a new way of delivering painkillers which involves drilling a hole in the patient's shin bone and administering the painkillers direct into the bone marrow, and use of tourniquet falls under those advances.

I would imagine that only those who are trained properly in their use would be equipped with them though.

This is good answer:)

OP, By the "bullet wound trauma pack" do you mean the celox trauma bandage? That is used for packing traumatic injuries not restricted to bullet wounds.

Also the tourniquets arent paramedic only kit

edit: for anyone interested in that sort of thing the "iv into the bone" is called intraosseous, theres a lot of demo vids on youtube

Edited by ratter71

theres been quite a few changes to the way paramedics & casualty staff treat patients as a result of the afghan war, more kit has been issued aswel as a change in the way treatment is carried out. it was documented on a recent programme that i believe was called frontline medics on bbc1.

it was on watchdog as it had saved lives in afgan and was being issued to uk ambulances

it was on watchdog as it had saved lives in afgan and was being issued to uk ambulances
it was also featured in the documentary i mentioned, it was an hour long programme which also mentioned treatments that are being further tested before possibly being put into practice in hospitals

Ouch, just thinking about that makes me shudder.

Could I have the painkiller injected before they drill into my leg?

Ouch, just thinking about that makes me shudder.

Could I have the painkiller injected before they drill into my leg?

the documentary i watched said they anaesthatised the shin prior to inserting the IV to administering analgesia