Cineworld and IMAX megathread

There's now a 10% reduction for booking online, that might account for the price.

that's not too bad to be honest. can't wait for prometheius on IMAX Epic isn't the word.

I booked online to see it in IMAX 3d thursday at 11 am, it cost 9.18 through cineworld website.

But have to pay for glasses according to thing.

It's £4.50 extra for IMAX (taken from their own website)

An extra 58% on top of the normal ticket price is a bit far IMO.

You ticket total assuming you're not part of their myCineworld discount scheme is £13.10

It is £11.79 if you are part of the discount scheme.

I do love this little footnote on the ticket page

"For IMAX 3D films the 3D glasses are free, but must be returned at the end of the performance."

Like hell! If I'm paying over £13 a ticket I'm keeping them.

Can i just ask, what actually is imax?? And do odeon have it?

Sweet, sounds pretty reasonable to be honest. Hardly go to the cinema anymore but will go to IMAX for this years big ones i.e. Avengers Assemble, Prometheius, The Hobbit, The Dark Knight Rises, Skyfall, Spiderman.....

Sounds right for online prices as you get 10% discount, we are Unlimited card holders but still pay the £4.50 each when booking (we can't book in advance/online with Unlimited cards as far as I know). It includes the 3D glasses but obviously they are not to keep unlike the 'other' sort of 3D glasses which you paid for and kept.

You have to give them back, there's staff stood at the side of a collection 'bin' on your way out of the screen who watch you put the glasses in. not sure why you would want to keep them anyway, Resident!

Ryan- IMAX is basically a huge screen, better sound and picture than the regular screens. Odeon don't have one. It is in what used to be the 'Full Monty' screen at Cineworld (screen 7) which was huge anyway compared to others but this seems even bigger, slightly curved and as I said, with better sound and vision.

So far have seen John Carter, The Hunger Games and Titanic in there. JC was 3D and although the film wasn't that interesting to me, the IMAX experience was worth it. Hunger Games was not in 3D and I wish we hadn't bothered paying the extra £4.50 for that although I loved the film I can't see the point seeing a non 3D film in IMAX. Titanic was great but it's my all time fave movie and although the 3D wasn't up to the standard of other, modern 3D films, it was worth it for me.

I think we may see the Avengers film in IMAX and The Dark Knight Rises, but other than that I will steer clear of it until a film I really want to see in IMAX comes along... although I love it- just can't justify paying £30 a month for the Unlimited cards plus £9 between us a time.

You have to give them back, there's staff stood at the side of a collection 'bin' on your way out of the screen who watch you put the glasses in. not sure why you would want to keep them anyway, Resident!

Just to be awkward on principal.

Lets face it, the film companies and cinemas complain because of people illegally downloading films but charge through the roof for tickets.

A family of 4, buying at the desk for an IMAX 3D film would have to pay £47.40 just on tickets then there's the food/drink on top of that which you can bet would be around £20 for 4

So a total of £70 to watch a film once.

Just to be awkward on principal.

Lets face it, the film companies and cinemas complain because of people illegally downloading films but charge through the roof for tickets.

A family of 4, buying at the desk for an IMAX 3D film would have to pay £47.40 just on tickets then there's the food/drink on top of that which you can bet would be around £20 for 4

So a total of £70 to watch a film once.

Oh, well if you want to be awkward then I am sure you could slip them in your jacket :hihi:

It is so expensive- my 2 LO's are too young for the cinema- well.. one is, the other probably wouldn't be interested in any films shown in the IMAX as she is only 5. But when they get a little older, I can see how it would cost a fortune. Around 2 years ago I got stopped after getting our tickets for a film, and told I couldn't take my bag full of goodies into the film ( bought from a shop). No hot, smelly food or anything messy (and they sell hot, smelly and potentially messy food anyway)... I walked out and cancelled our cards immedietely in a huff and only just joined again recently as I love films and the cinema experience.

So when the kids start wanting to accompany us, I will be buying beforehand and hiding our goodies well! We paid £7+ for some popcorn and small cup of fanta last week, went through me but I fancied it and hadn't planned ahead well enough.

Oh, well if you want to be awkward then I am sure you could slip them in your jacket :hihi:

It is so expensive- my 2 LO's are too young for the cinema- well.. one is, the other probably wouldn't be interested in any films shown in the IMAX as she is only 5. But when they get a little older, I can see how it would cost a fortune. Around 2 years ago I got stopped after getting our tickets for a film, and told I couldn't take my bag full of goodies into the film ( bought from a shop). No hot, smelly food or anything messy (and they sell hot, smelly and potentially messy food anyway)... I walked out and cancelled our cards immedietely in a huff and only just joined again recently as I love films and the cinema experience.

So when the kids start wanting to accompany us, I will be buying beforehand and hiding our goodies well! We paid £7+ for some popcorn and small cup of fanta last week, went through me but I fancied it and hadn't planned ahead well enough.

Having worked in a cinema in my younger days (UCI at Crystal Peaks) I know and understand the reasons behind the high food prices, it's a cinema's only real revenue source as the distribution companies take upto 95% of the ticket price which leave the cine with 5p in every pound to pay it's overheads

So on average a screen holds 350 people. To earn £50 from tickets alone, the cinema would need to fill 3 screen to capaicty.

Having worked in a cinema in my younger days (UCI at Crystal Peaks) I know and understand the reasons behind the high food prices, it's a cinema's only real revenue source as the distribution companies take upto 95% of the ticket price which leave the cine with 5p in every pound to pay it's overheads

So on average a screen holds 350 people. To earn £50 from tickets alone, the cinema would need to fill 3 screen to capaicty.

I can believe that... just think it should be my own choice if I want to pay for their grub or not, I rarely do these days (with that exception, as I REALLY wanted it).. just cuz I can't afford it.

Anyway, back to the IMAX screen... has anyone been who hasn't rated it at all?????

Can i just ask, what actually is imax??

It's the latest gimmick that lets cinemas rip off their customers for 50% more cash.