Does anybody know the history of Stanedge lodge?

rapido

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, Stanedge lodge and Fairthorn lodge are two different buildings, but share part of the same drive way, an old friend of mine bought it from the water board in I think the 1980's, Im led to believe he paid £55k and I think it has 15 bedrooms or rooms, anyway, a big house for the money, it needed alot of work doing to it, which I don't think he ever completed. He used to hold clay pidgeon shoots their, but there was a problem with planning, so he had to stop, and had to let the property go, as far as I am aware, he still lives nearby in a water board house.

An old friend of mine, a local historian told me the lodge belonged to a Sheffield Steel Magnet at one time and a large coach and horses used to collect the servants on a evening and take them back to Sheffield, but one night, the coach man had been drinking in the Grouse and Trout before he collected the staff, he was very drunk and set off down the track from the house, he couldn't stop, and drove staight into the old dam at the bottom of the lane, all were drowned, The Lodge owner had the pub pulled down immediately, the pub sign is still their, leaning against the wall on the left, before you get to the dam, hope this helps.

Regards Brian

Hi Brian

Thank you very much for this. I've never noticed the pub sign before and will look out for it. It looks like the lodge is still in use today because there's a wind turbine in the grounds.

It's no wonder that so many people feel uneasy round there at night! :suspect: