Advice for calming my dog on bonfire night!

Can anyone give me advice on this please, we didnt have him last year on bonfire night, but it already very obvious he really, really hates fireworks. I know most dogs and probably cats do, what do other owners do?

At the moment, they are maybe a couple of bangs a night and he's straight up on setee in a ball behind hubbys legs, bless him :( but dreading this weekend for him.

Someone mentioned Bach Rescue Remedy?? Thanks in advance :)

You have my full sympathies! I have an anxious hound who shakes at the slightest bang and becomes destructive if it happens when he's alone at home.

Have you got a crate? Confining him to his crate helps (although mine managed to bend the bars and escape from it).

I've been using a DAP diffuser which allegedly sends pheremones into the air around him to make him calm. To me it was a waste of twenty quid as it hasn't worked for him, but it might for you.

Serene Ums - a non prescription drug, do seem to help. I know there are stronger sedatives available from the vet, but I don't really want to do that to my dog. He'll still be anxious inside. Serene Ums seem to calm him, but still give him room to shake a bit.

When I go out, he goes in his crate, radio playing and fan blowing and he has a blanket over his crate.

It depends on how strong willed your dog is as to what extreme you need to go to. With the Rescue Remedy, it's fine for a short time, if you're with him. But it wears off quickly.

What have you tried so far?

My dog barks at fireworks, and I've tried lots of different tactics over the last few years with him, including a desensitisation programme with a firework noise CD (!), DAP, bachs etc etc. I've found that the most helpful thing to do is not to make a fuss of him, ignore his behaviour (easier said than done!), and close curtains, and confine him to one room and really whack up the volume on the tv or radio to drown out the sound of the fireworks. Good luck at the weekend - you really have my sympathies!!

He wont be home alone at the weekend and very rarely is alone, so we dont use a crate. On the odd occasion hes been alone from 9-3pm hes got the run of downstairs. I just feel his anxiety and want, if i can, to take the edge off without drugging him lol. Not tried anything apart from TLC up to now :).

Thanks for the advice x

My dog barks at fireworks, and I've tried lots of different tactics over the last few years with him, including a desensitisation programme with a firework noise CD (!), DAP, bachs etc etc. I've found that the most helpful thing to do is not to make a fuss of him, ignore his behaviour (easier said than done!), and close curtains, and confine him to one room and really whack up the volume on the tv or radio to drown out the sound of the fireworks. Good luck at the weekend - you really have my sympathies!!

So generally what id do for my 7 year old :hihi: she goes to bed with earphones bless her :). Thank you x

My Great Dane has some Zylkene tablets ( as she can't have ACP because of her heart condition) and some earplugs in - just dampen some cotton wool balls. Then I have to bandage her ears down so she can't shake them out - worked a treat last year - and she is really really bad with fireworks :D

Hello

Have you tried calming aids? We use DAP for Dogs, its really effective! Its awful watching them suffer I know so try this or you could have a look at The Pet Medicine Company as they have a few different brands of calming aids

We use Dorwest herbs, they have a fantastic range and they work! :D

I was told to put some cotton-wool in the ears to muffle the noise.

Get the cd or download firework sounds onto a cd play it low to start with then increase.

Was coming on here to ask the same question, Mum dog is terrible

and shakes like a leaf, we tried here with calming tablets but not

really much help, we resorted to wrapping her in an old comfy duvet

and cuddling her, the two other dogs (her 4 year old pups) just tremble.