54% of social housing has GONE in Sheffield

Right to Buy has taken away most of the housing stock. This was a national government policy of the 80s conservative government. However, Labour never reversed that policy, and no Sheffield MP's to my knowledge have raised the issue.

Income from Right to Buy gives the council a quick fix income boost, but they loose yet another tenant who's in work able to pay full rent, and provide a revenue to the council which isn't dependant on housing benefit from taxation.

Council housing now mainly goes to people in priority need. Yes rightly so because that is the primary function of social housing. However, even the council needs to be able to fund itself. At some point there will not be enough working taxpayers in the country to pay for vulnerable peoples housing costs.

There are a few flaws in that argument as no figures are published as to how many homes were also demolished since the RTB or how many were transferred over to housing associations. It could possibly be that 20% of the 54% quoted may be down to demolishing homes as well.

In Norfolk Park under the regeneration scheme over 4,000 homes were demolished without any being replaced by council stock. Similar has also happened in other areas throughout the city. It would be nice to know just how many have been demolished since the RTB started.

The income from the RTB was until recently all given to central government for them to do with and distribute how they liked.

In 1980 there were 95000 council homes in Sheffield, a young couple could pop their name down on the list and get a place pretty soon.

Back then, people could afford to put a roof over their head, and there were roofs available! They could even afford to have children, and had gardens for them to play in.

Fast forward to 2011 and 54% of that housing has gone. Now there are only 42000 council homes. They have been sold off and demolished

The next generation has been sold down the river.

Thanks a lot! :rant:

I'm pretty sure if you use the search facility i think that you will find several threads where you have made either the same or very similar points.

The council and government is not, and should not have a duty to provide a house for every citizen.

People have to take responsibility for themselves. Either buy, rent or build your own home. As has happened in Britain for about 1000 years. Social Housing is for and should remain for people who have the greatest need.

what really annoys me is people who live in private housing and then, even though they have no change in circumstances, get a council house and sell their private one and keep a nice little cash sum.

And before anyone comments on how I have got this wrong, I know 2 people who have proudly told me they have done this.

Ah, how unselfish and community-spirited us materialistic working class grabbers are!

I'm pretty sure if you use the search facility i think that you will find several threads where you have made either the same or very similar points.

The council and government is not, and should not have a duty to provide a house for every citizen.

People have to take responsibility for themselves. Either buy, rent or build your own home. As has happened in Britain for about 1000 years. Social Housing is for and should remain for people who have the greatest need.

(my bold)

But how can the needy get the social housing that they need, if it's been sold off?

I'm thinking about the workers who can't afford to have children...

Well, its good that people are being sensible and planning when to have their families according to their circumstances.

(my bold)

But how can the needy get the social housing that they need, if it's been sold off?

Well, most people with a priority for council housing receive offers of properties in a reasonable time frame, and while they are waiting and bidding they are housed (not always in ideal circumstances).

I'd argue that any property that is being funded by housing benefit is social housing.... so there are plenty of options for people...

Well, its good that people are being sensible and planning when to have their families according to their circumstances.

Although daughter and boy friend have no plans to start a family, thankfully, the only way they can afford to live together is by starting one. If they don't have a child they can't afford a house, if they have a child they can. That’s a crap system.

I'm thinking about the workers who can't afford to have children...

That's the main problem these days, folk in general seem to think it's a right to breed. Simple fact ought to be, if you can't afford to keep them, then for God's sake, why breed them.

Nothing to do with the benefit system I suppose, and a life on the take with the rest of us paying to bring up someone elses family.

Regards

Angel.

Well, most people with a priority for council housing receive offers of properties in a reasonable time frame, and while they are waiting and bidding they are housed (not always in ideal circumstances).

I'd argue that any property that is being funded by housing benefit is social housing.... so there are plenty of options for people...

There are approx 17,000 vacant properties in S Yorks and North Derbyshire and around 700,000 nationwide.

That's the main problem these days, folk in general seem to think it's a right to breed. Simple fact ought to be, if you can't afford to keep them, then for God's sake, why breed them.

Nothing to do with the benefit system I suppose, and a life on the take with the rest of us paying to bring up someone elses family.

Regards

Angel.

Got any kids? Suppose you lose your job next week, can you afford to keep them? Suppose you don't pay into a pension because don't know if you're going to make it past 50? Get the drift?

When Thatcher sold off the Council Housing, did she sell it to wealthy property speculators, or did she sell it to the people who lived in it?

I wasn't eligible to buy a council house, because I didn't live in one. AFAIK; the people who bought the houses were the people who were living in them.

Before those tenants bought their houses, they were paying subsidised rents and they were getting free maintenance. After they bought the houses, they weren't transported to another planet. They still lived in their houses, paid a low mortgage (instead of a heavily-subsidised rent) and paid for the maintenance themselves.

Had they not bought their houses, they wouldn't have been required to move out, so there was no real 'loss' to the subsidised social market. Many of those people would be alive today, still living in their heavily-subsidised houses and the taxpayers would be paying the subsidy.

By selling off council housing, Thatcher removed a huge liability from local councils.

And gave the lower paid people of this country the ability to own their own house, something many of them wanted to do but couldn’t afford.

It’s surprising how many people think these houses would be available to rent if they hadn’t been sold.