Sign in to follow this  

Flaming jobsworths! Have we lost our common sense?

Originally posted by Andy

She did have change, I got change from her when I paid for my purchase. Anyway, the explanation given was "I am not allowed to change money at this counter" - not "I don't have any pound coins".

The point I am making is that the only reason this lady wanted change was for Morrisons' trolly, so she could do her shopping. She wasn't wanting it to go and spend in another shop, or to pay the bus driver or the milkman.

I don't need one of those key rings as I shop at Tesco where you don't have to put a pound in the trolly. But that's missing the point. The point being, someone somewhere has made a rule saying the tobacco counter can't give change, and the only purpose of this rule must be to make someone feel important.

Going slightly off the subject for a minute, where i work, we have no access to any more money than the float we are given at the beginning of the trip. And when people keep coming to the bar and buying a small bar of chocolate with £20 note, (because they have no change themselves) the change in our float quickly dissapears. Then, other people come to the bar with notes, and when we can't give them change have a go at us. Well, what are we supposed to do. stop at the next station, nip to the bank and change it. In this case, getting back on the subject, i would refuse to change a note for all the remaining change in the money box.

I really hope that this doesn't make ME a Jobsworth. :thumbsup:

(kind of goes with this thread as luggage trolleys work with pound coins as well :heyhey: )

No. No letting an assistant give change is nonsence, when she has a till full of change. There is no need to fill in no sale reports - that is just another petty rule made to inconvenience people. Let's face it, she's in the till every time she serves someone, if she wanted to nick cash she'd do it then. :loopy:

as a customer services "person in charge" my st aff wouldn't hesitate if the till is open, if not they can't get in without a customer but I have the magic key and will always get them a trolley. PS you can always get a magic key off a tin of ham or corned beef to fit the trollies.

The point being, someone somewhere has made a rule saying the tobacco counter can't give change, and the only purpose of this rule must be to make someone feel important.

Perhaps it is down to the fact that the tobacco counter near the door is for people simply wanting to purchase something in a rush such as cigarettes (and in some stores pre-prepared food and drinks are also near the doors).

They don't want people, usually in a hurry, being held up in a queue behind someone who, despite knowing that the trolleys need a pound, wasn't organised enough to take one with them.

Perhaps it would be better for all concerned if they would go to the customer services desk, where someone will help them. They get a pound, and the people buying things in a rush don't have as long to wait. Surely with this system everybody wins?

Originally posted by sniperwookie

Perhaps it would be better for all concerned if they would go to the customer services desk, where someone will help them. They get a pound, and the people buying things in a rush don't have as long to wait. Surely with this system everybody wins?

There was a queue at that desk too.

Personally I would go to Tesco where they don't mess about with the pound nonsence. And where they don't have silly rules.