Great Yorkshire run

Why has sheffield been closed down for this race? I'm not amused i would like to get home some time today ! its ridiculous i'm pretty sure we have a racetrack somewhere ! sheffield is bad enough to drive around at the best of times, i am registering my discust about this whole affair

whilst doing a little jog and raising money for charity is admirable, the organisers of these events should give some thought and compensation to the businesses affected by the road closures. i am aware that hillsborough leisure centre had lost several thousand pounds in takings by mid morning as sunday is one of its busiest days.

there are plenty of parks and countryside in which these events could be held, so why not? it would be healthier too.

charitable causes always end up costing those who do not wish to donate.

Well done to everyone that did the race rather than moanin about road closures!!!!!!!!!!!!!

whilst doing a little jog and raising money for charity is admirable, the organisers of these events should give some thought and compensation to the businesses affected by the road closures. i am aware that hillsborough leisure centre had lost several thousand pounds in takings by mid morning as sunday is one of its busiest days.

there are plenty of parks and countryside in which these events could be held, so why not? it would be healthier too.

charitable causes always end up costing those who do not wish to donate.

Nothing stopping people parking up on Herries Road and walking the quarter of a mile to the Leisure centre. Maybe some of the runners would have been normal customers as well so wouldnt have gone as they were taking part.

The leisure centre possibly missed a trick as well as it should have seen an opportunity to get people in who were watching to its refreshment area and do some promotion within the crowds to entice potential new customers who are caught up in the "keeping fit is good for you" element of the day.

If anything the leisure centre (using your example) knew the day of the race, knew the surrounding environment would be shut to road traffic, and should have been informing its members of alternative parking arrangements nearby or moving classes to an earlier day for one week only to try and maintain numbers.

So instead of going on about the event organisers giving thought perhaps the management of the leisure centre should have seen how to grasp the opportunity and maximise the potnetial for future revenue.

Thanks for the slightly patronising answer, but are you sure? Is there anyway of checking? :hihi: What about the charities that gained? Wouldn't they have gained more if everyone just gave the £25 straight to them without having to hire lots of staff to man an event? :hihi:

Will nobody think of the charities!!!

sorry, didnt mean to come across as patronising, just saying surely the cost of the closures didn't amount to £25 per head. I was also thinking of the private funds that people raised over and above the entrance fee :-)

sorry, didnt mean to come across as patronising, just saying surely the cost of the closures didn't amount to £25 per head. I was also thinking of the private funds that people raised over and above the entrance fee :-)

No Probs :)

In 500 meters of the Penistone road I counted 5 police and 7 stewards. That is a lot of cost for one small section. Not to mention the amount of cones around. I would be interested to see how much the setup costs and whether it really is covered by the event. Do they have to publish such info.

I also ran this event and for the amount of money it raises for good causes must surely out way a few hours disruption on a Sunday.

Let's move it to Leeds

Then people can moan that Leeds always gets preference and why should Leeds have a run and Sheffield get left out

Never happy, some people!

As for running it in parks, I'll be running the Ten Ten Ten later this month - this has thousands less runners and gets choked and congested in the winding narrow tracks - there is NO WAY that an event this size could be run around Sheffield's parks (and if it did, "boo-hoo, wah wah, why should the park be closed, not fair") and as for moving it out into the countryside...how is everyone going to get there? Ashopton viaduct around by Fairholmes could be made a 10k with a little "out and back" stretch towards Howden dam - so let's park 8'000 vehicles in Derwent Valley shall we, plus all the toilet, baggage and water facilities? Not viable

I think the phrase I'm looking for at the moaners is "tough titties!"

Let's move it to Leeds

Then people can moan that Leeds always gets preference and why should Leeds have a run and Sheffield get left out

Never happy, some people!

As for running it in parks, I'll be running the Ten Ten Ten later this month - this has thousands less runners and gets choked and congested in the winding narrow tracks - there is NO WAY that an event this size could be run around Sheffield's parks (and if it did, "boo-hoo, wah wah, why should the park be closed, not fair") and as for moving it out into the countryside...how is everyone going to get there? Ashopton viaduct around by Fairholmes could be made a 10k with a little "out and back" stretch towards Howden dam - so let's park 8'000 vehicles in Derwent Valley shall we, plus all the toilet, baggage and water facilities? Not viable

I think the phrase I'm looking for at the moaners is "tough titties!"

I cant agree with you more, their are lots of street race in the uk through out the year, why should Sheffield be excluded from these because a few motorists dont agree with closing some roads of for a few hours on a Sunday .