School homework

2899norfolk

Hi guys,

My partners child is six years old and in my opinion a very intelligent child for the age of six, his mother is a university graduate.

The school where he attends keeps sending him home with lots of home work.

Is this normal for schools in the Sheffield district to give home work to children as young as six?

Many thanks.....John.

homework in primary school is optional. I have always made my son do his homework as I believe it helps his development, the work he gets is 4 sums and a small piece of writing or investigative work (easily done on the internet) a week. He's eight. If you feel the amount of work being sent home a week is too much talk to the child's teacher and ask why they think it is necessary to set so much. Teachers are usually happy to discuss this as you are clearly concerned about your partner's child.

I do not think primary school children should do homework. Education at that age should be fun, it should engage children so they want to know more through free will.

If I had a young child I would develop their skills through play and normal everyday activities. Reading is best done because they want to, a bedtime story is an ideal time to add some reading practice and every activity can be a learning activity if you sneak it in, think about all the things you could find out about on a walk through the woods or a swim in the local pool. Good parenting allows development?

If children enjoy learning at an early age it sets them up for the rest of their education, if it is made taxing, boring or excessive when they are young, you have lost them forever.

I think it is very sad what we put our children through in the education system at such a young age :( However I understand the economic and social reasons why it is done, in my opinion it is not the best for well looked after children which the vast majority are.

Edited by Evei

I think it depends what the homework is really. My kids are 12, 4 and 2, so my 4 year old has just started reception class.

I personally think we should be reading to and with our children as much as possible and encouraging play based learning, which seems to be the 'homework' her school is setting.

I'm not against supporting their learning at home, as long as I'm not expected to sit her down for hours on end every evening to complete it, she is only 4 after all.

I think a little bit of homework is a good thing. It gets the child ready to deal with school work and importantly it should also get the parents prepared to support the child through school.

My kids had a small amount of homework from an early age and certainly achieved at school.

I think play is important but its all about balance and a supportive environment

My son is 4 and just started reception, and he will be getting homework soon! I dont really agree with homework at this age - they should be learning through fun!

I think it depends on what the homework consists of. If it is set at such a young age, it can sometimes still be fun. For example, it might be a challenge to find 3 different shapes at home... which many children would enjoy doing with the family rather than only doing things like that in school. It also gives parents an opportunity to be involved in the child's school learning.