Social Services and the measures they take

Sometimes (most of the time) Social services steam in with little information, lay the law down, ruin lives, then tramp back out again leaving the parents to waddle about in the mucky water left.

Social services made my life hell because i was a working parent with a child with Aspergers Syndrome.

They had absolutely no idea about what aspergers entails but deemed their status as professionals more important than my status as a parent.

I was forced, yes, literally forced into quitting my job or risk losing my children.

I had the child protection police at my door TWICE because of the scum that is social services, it was sometime later when they realised my son was being bullied at school and it almost choked them to apologise to me.

I cannot wait to see what shoddy excuses they come up with in court for their bullying,demeaning and absolutely shocking treatment of me and my family.

I know you're angry and its difficult to make a comment when you don't know all the facts but the comment you just made suggests that Social Services apologised for your son's bullying at school, and it almost choked them. How can they be responsible for that?

Yes, of course I (and many, many others) are.:rolleyes:

Yes, completely wrong if you continue to insist that parents are offered no support.

I accept that a very small minority will have been treated unfairly when involved in child protection/ safeguarding, but completely denying that there is support for parents in ridiculous.

Edited by scoop

Its quite sad that parents who actually need help and want to ask for it, might feel as though they can't, in case their children get taken away.

My Mum had me when she was 17, and had a social worker, who was lovely, she used to take me on days out, paid for me to go to private nursery, and was a fantastic family friend as well as being from SS. She still, to this day, remains great friends with her, and brings us Christmas presents every year.

Its a shame things don't seem to be the same any more, and people are so much less keen to ask anyone for help, or even admit that they might have problems in case of repercussions.

I know you're angry and its difficult to make a comment when you don't know all the facts but the comment you just made suggests that Social Services apologised for your son's bullying at school, and it almost choked them. How can they be responsible for that?

It almost choked them because the school had noticed a bruise on my childs neck and had informed social services without contacting me to disscuss it first, as it happens i had made an appointment at school for the following week to disscuss the said bruise as i had suspisions he was being picked on.

Before i got the chance my children were woken and made to get out of bed at 10.15 pm by the social services and child protection police to explain every damn bruise they had on their body (impossible at the best of time but with two lads even more so).

They were incredibly shook up by the whole experiance and thought they were in trouble.

Social services thought i had inflicted the bruises so began an investigation, as i worked with children at the time i had to quit my job.

When the whole sorry affair came to light that my child was being bulied by a group of other kids at school and that is why he was being quiet and withdrawn the ss did not know where to put their faces.

All i got was an half arsed apology an two very confused kids.

It made my blood boil how they could get something so wrong, not only did i lose my job but whispers started circulating in the communty and my crediblity was ruined, the kids got teased at school even more and i ended up moving area as i was an outcast!

That is why i am going to shred them a new arse hole in court.

Thanks Leah Social workers do have hearts and have so many rules to work to,at the end of the day when anything goes wrong its always Social Workers who are the "bad guys" can anyone imagine knowing what its like to go home after taking a child from its parents or getting someone sectioned? they are not big bad people they are trying to protect innocent kids and people,if people have done nothing wrong then why all the fuss,and yes they can make mistakes but trust me they are guided by senior managers its not on one persons judgement alone.

The law is so complex no one can go and just take a child without some evidence theres a risk to that child.Contrary to belief Social workers are real people doing a very difficult thankless task and they do it because they love the job.No its not nice sometimes but life never is,at least someone has a positive view of them thank you

It almost choked them because the school had noticed a bruise on my childs neck and had informed social services without contacting me to disscuss it first, as it happens i had made an appointment at school for the following week to disscuss the said bruise as i had suspisions he was being picked on.

Before i got the chance my children were woken and made to get out of bed at 10.15 pm by the social services and child protection police to explain every damn bruise they had on their body (impossible at the best of time but with two lads even more so).

They were incredibly shook up by the whole experiance and thought they were in trouble.

Social services thought i had inflicted the bruises so began an investigation, as i worked with children at the time i had to quit my job.

When the whole sorry affair came to light that my child was being bulied by a group of other kids at school and that is why he was being quiet and withdrawn the ss did not know where to put their faces.

All i got was an half arsed apology an two very confused kids.

It made my blood boil how they could get something so wrong, not only did i lose my job but whispers started circulating in the communty and my crediblity was ruined, the kids got teased at school even more and i ended up moving area as i was an outcast!

That is why i am going to shred them a new arse hole in court.

But the thing is, someone had obviously made an allegation to them about you.

What do you think Social Services should do when they recieve an allegation that someone is abusing their children?

But the thing is, someone had obviously made an allegation to them about you.

What do you think Social Services should do when they recieve an allegation that someone is abusing their children?

I would be more angry with the school for going straight to SS in this case, I mean, they've made the allegation that they thought the child was being abused, which SS obviously needed to follow up. The school reporting it would probably have been a good enough reason for them to do it... I guess that they don't get THAT many of such sorts of reports from schools, or am I wrong? Is it standard practice for a school to report bruises to SS, rather than discuss it with parents first?

I've never smoked more than 5 a day, I have had 1 or 2 a day for the last 2 years or so. I've never really wanted to give up, but I've never considered myself to be an addicted smoker. If I don't want a cigarette one day, I don't have to have one - it is easy for me to quit. I just have half of my partner's cigarette a couple of times per day. But yeah, ok, that makes me an awful parent.

But you smoked through all your pregnancies although apparently you're not addicted.

Not being addicted doesn't make it okay to smoke when you're pregnant, I think it makes it worse, I can understand people who are massively addicted failing sometimes but just smoking all through 3 pregnancies just because you want to is really selfish. It might not be the smoking itself that makes a bad parents but it can cause miscarriage, cleft palates, lower intelligence, mental disorders and raises the risk of cot death, childhood cancers and stillbirth significantly.

If someone chooses to continue to do something that causes that just because they feel like it it does set alarm bells ringing that the parent might have a hard time prioritising the child's welfare over their own IMO.

Edited by Badlittlepup

Yes, completely wrong if you continue to insist that parents are offered no support.

None of the people I know that have been involved with the SS have received any support.

Why do you find it so difficult to accept that people have a different experience of the SS than yours?

None of the people I know that have been involved with the SS have received any support.

Why do you find it so difficult to accept that people have a different experience of the SS than yours?

Because I work with children and I see the services in action every working day of my life!

I don't find it difficult to accept that people have a different experience, but I do think that people wo have the horrificly unfair experiences that are described here are in the minority.

TBH, my colleagues and I often hold the oppisite view, that children are far too often left to suffer in terrible conditions, while work goes on to try to support the parents and improve their parenting skills - all too often without success.

Edited by scoop

But you smoked through all your pregnancies although apparently you're not addicted.

Not being addicted doesn't make it okay to smoke when you're pregnant, I think it makes it worse, I can understand people who are massively addicted failing sometimes but just smoking all through 3 pregnancies just because you want to is really selfish. It might not be the smoking itself that makes a bad parents but it can cause miscarriage, cleft palates, lower intelligence, mental disorders and raises the risk of cot death, childhood cancers and stillbirth significantly.

If someone chooses to continue to do something that causes that just because they feel like it it does set alarm bells ringing that the parent might have a hard time prioritising the child's welfare over their own IMO.

I also have had the odd glass of wine, and am not an alcoholic. Yes, there were certain times of day when I would feel the 'urge' to smoke, which was when I did it, which I suppose points at a slight addiction, but they are easy to get over when its 2 or 3 times a day that it happens. Now its getting to 4.30pm, and I've sat down with a coffee, I feel the urge, and normally would give into it, but right now, I'm not. Its easy to do. My partner on the other hand, is going mental and has had to put a patch on, thats addiction I'd say. Living with smokers all my life hasn't made quitting very easy... If my partner was to spark a fag up now, I'd give in and have half.

Because I work with childrern and I see the services in action every working day of my life!

Ah, I thought I recognised the username. Vested/biased interests springs to mind.