Sheffield Indian Restaurants / Curry Houses

are these great standard English curries or great authentic Indian food with maybe some modern twists. Sorry to sound so pompus but all the places I have been to so far are standard fare of varying quality, freshness and flavour. Nothing I would rush back to and some I wouldn't bother with again. Curry faves is all very subjective but I suprised there is nothing along the lines I mentioned.

are these great standard English curries or great authentic Indian food with maybe some modern twists. Sorry to sound so pompus but all the places I have been to so far are standard fare of varying quality, freshness and flavour. Nothing I would rush back to and some I wouldn't bother with again. Curry faves is all very subjective but I suprised there is nothing along the lines I mentioned.

I agree, curries like most foods are subjective...hence the numerous 'twists on a theme ' type curries seen on menus in 'anglasised indian ' restaurants that we find today.

If you were to visit any authentic place in the sub continent you would find on the menu either ,chicken ,meat,a veg of some description or any other item and thats it...no madras,kurma,vindaloo or any other exotic description etc etc.

The so called strengh of curry in that place would be pretty uniform ...any extra 'strengh' is varied by way of having a hot green chili sauce or going the other way,having some home made yougurt.

We at the curry canteen have set out our stall as an authentic curry experience,where we only cook 4 or 5 dishes each day...no more...we do not use the gravy pot system (again anglasised) but cook each dish with full integrity from the beginning.

CURRY CANTEEN,

10 DORKING ST..OFF CARLISLE ST,

SHEFFIELD S4 7LZ

0114 279 5348

I never tried Indian do u think it's nice?

Dilshads gotta be the best. Love that place; and the waiters offer good service.

Had a good one at Cheman on the Wicker the other day - the Mango Lassis were well nice - and top notch service!

I have exactly the same meal at every Indian i go to (im a fussy eater, have found something i like, so ill stick with it!)....

couple of popadoms first, then a seekh kebab starter, chicken tikka main course (chicken tikka pieces - i.e a dry meal, cooked in the clay oven - NOT a curry!), with pilau rice and garlic naan.

have sampled this same meal in quite a few indians in sheff, on several occasions in each restaurant, heres my top 3 -

1. Sahibs (west street) - Excellent service, gorgeous food + decent portions, reasonable price.

2. Akhbars - Poor service both times i went (felt like we were being rushed, and the waiters got order wrong both times), but very very nice food and reasonably priced, great atmosphere in there too.

3. Aagraas (or however you spell it!) - Good service, nice food, just very poor on portions! priced about the same as Akhbars but half as much food. very nice atmosphere in there though.

there is a fantastic indian curry house across road from train station in sheffield called SB'S grill house its fantastic

IMHO

Restaurant-Jaflong in Crookes is ace, been loads of times

Takeaway-Bilash Sharrowvale Road-i'm still going after 15 years even though I don't live very close to it now. Well worth the drive.

dont bother with hanifah on abbeydale rd. had a tikka masala from there and it tasted like korma. Theres nothing more disappointing than a mild, korma-ish tikka masala! and naan bread was dry.

Can't believe no-one has mentioned the New India Garden at Heeley. Excellent, but probably second to Butlers, which takes some beating

Dilshads gotta be the best. Love that place; and the waiters offer good service.

Wenton Sunday and it was very good indeed.