Sheffield constituencies- changes proposed

Central will remain Labour as the Lib-Dems were the close runner-up there last time and they've collapsed in the polls since 2010. The West and Stocksbridge one could be a 3 way split as it goes from Penistone down to Millhouses and contains Labour, Tory and Lib-Dem areas. There could be some tactical voting to get Clegg out if he stands.

Doesn't central stand to lose the presumably Labour majority Manor and Arbourthorne areas?

Doesn't central stand to lose the presumably Labour majority Manor and Arbourthorne areas?

Arbourthorne used to be in Sheffield Heeley.

Central will be made up of Hillsborough, Burngreave, Central, Walkley and Broomhill wards. Last year 4 of those 5 wards returned Labour councillors including, I think, 3 gains from the Lib-Dems. The other was a Green. I can't see the Lib-Dems getting back to where they were in Central 2 years ago. In 2010 Central may have a returned a Lib-Dem MP with just those 5 wards but after 5 years of a coalition government I can't see the Lib-Dems winning Central in 2015.

Just about any arrangement that gives 5 whole Sheffield seats is better than the 'official' one with cross-boundary seats.

I do suggest that anyone who thinks this goes onto the Boundary Commission consultation website

http://consultation.boundarycommissionforengland.independent.gov.uk/have-your-say/

and finds one of the three (that I know of - there may be more) submissions which have 5 whole Sheffield seats and comments on it. (You can find them by entering the reference numbers, which as already mentioned are 001704, 002920 and 023091.)

Similarly, if you want to comment on names (e.g. if you prefer "interesting sounding names" to compass points), comment on submission 003312.

Also, there's now an e-petition on the Council's website to ask them to support a model that has exactly five constituencies wholly within the city council boundaries:

https://sheffield.moderngov.co.uk/mgEPetitionDisplay.aspx?id=78

We the undersigned petition the Council to : Respond to the Parliamentary Boundary Review 2013 consultation supporting a model that assigns a whole number of Parliamentary Constituencies entirely within the boundaries of Sheffield City Council (such as the Dr Jordon model - mdfs.net/per13).

Sheffield's electorate is such that it can form exactly 5 new constituencies. The Boundary Review's initial model splits up Sheffield so three constituences overlap the City Council boundary. The Commission has put too much insistance on not splitting wards, ignoring the fact that just two wards need to be split and can be done carefully along community lines within those two wards.

Also, there's now an e-petition on the Council's website to ask them to support a model that has exactly five constituencies wholly within the city council boundaries:

Surely they are already supporting that, with the proposal (number 023091) that you mentioned above?

I know it's not strictly Sheffield related but the biggest benefit to boundary changes is that nadine dorries will be without a constituency.

Nice !

Looks like all the attachments are down at the moment. Basically, it appears to be an official response from the council listing various concerns about the proposals, and proposing a way in which the city could be divided into five whole constituencies.

It is working now (1720hrs.) I've signed.
Ah! You got in just before me.

I'm now downloading them all to go through them. The Derek West one (SCC) is much better than any the local politicians have put in, though it can be made better with a few tweeks. I still think JHJ21's is better, though Mr West's can be made just as good with a couple of tweeks to it (eg swap Nether Edge with Beauchief).

The deadline for comments on the initial submissions is noon today (3rd April). While trying to keep my eyelids open I have got my comments in before the deadline (I was sure it was 18th April). Also available on my website.