Forge Valley School: Uniform problems

Seem to recall a nun at the Royal Wedding being pictured next to the Royal Couple whilst wearing a well known brand of black trainers under her habit.

A child wearing those same trainers this week at Forge Valley would have been sent home.

Still, one is a prestigious occasion requiring a draconian dress code, the other is a massive state event watched by billions around the world.

It is about abiding by school rules and teaching children respect for authority.

It is about abiding by school rules and teaching children respect for authority.

And why do you believe that schools could not achieve that without the need for kids to have to wear black polyester?

King Edwards gets results that are far higher than the majority of schools in Sheffield and their pupils are not wearing uniform...........how does wearing a certain item of clothing transpose into "respect for authority"?

And how do they manage on the continent where the wearing of polyester or nylon in drab colours is practically unheard of?

It sure is about abiding by school rules and teaching respect for authority.

But how can you expect children (and their parents) to respect rules and authority when they are being told their attire is non-compliant by teachers who do not have a formal dress code like the pupils?

People setting rules and expecting respect should lead by example.

Attending school is also about children getting an education. I'm not aware of any research that shows that plain black trainers/shoes results in enhanced academic attainment.

My understanding is that it is the person who studies and sits exams, not their footwear?

Why not get the kids together who enjoy flouting the rules.

Stand the kids in a line

Get a heavy handed teacher to cane the lot.

Then get the PE teacher, and force them to do a 20 mile hike in the peak district.

People will soon get used to the idea of rules, in the old days, anyone in the classroom who chose not to obey the rules got brought to the front of the class and was then caned by the headmistress (although I think we paid for that service during a night out in Amsterdam)

Edited by love_rat

Stand the kids in a line

Then get the PE teacher, and force them to do a 20 mile hike in the peak district.

People will soon get used to the idea of rules, in the old days, anyone in the classroom who chose not to obey the rules got brought to the front of the class and was then caned by the headmistress (although I think we paid for that service during a night out in Amsterdam)

Won't happen, and nor should it IMO.. :loopy::rant:

And why do you believe that schools could not achieve that without the need for kids to have to wear black polyester?

King Edwards gets results that are far higher than the majority of schools in Sheffield and their pupils are not wearing uniform...........how does wearing a certain item of clothing transpose into "respect for authority"?

And how do they manage on the continent where the wearing of polyester or nylon in drab colours is practically unheard of?

This is about rules laid down by a specific school and is about actions and consequences.

As I said ealier if the parents had problems with the dress code this should have been sorted out before the start of term.

It sure is about abiding by school rules and teaching respect for authority.

But how can you expect children (and their parents) to respect rules and authority when they are being told their attire is non-compliant by teachers who do not have a formal dress code like the pupils?

People setting rules and expecting respect should lead by example.

Attending school is also about children getting an education. I'm not aware of any research that shows that plain black trainers/shoes results in enhanced academic attainment.

My understanding is that it is the person who studies and sits exams, not their footwear?

The dress code applies to pupils and not staff but I do agree that staff should dress in a smart manner.

This situation teaches the pupils and parents that there are consequences for their actions in not obeying official rules.

During the riots people were blaming parents and schools for not installing discipline, the pupils and parents were given amble notice about what would happen but yet they still decided to push the boundaries ………. And then bleat about it. :hihi:

Stand the kids in a line

Are you an afficianado of BSM?Secondly no PE teachers are fit enough to run 20 km ,let alone 20 miles and none can read maps.Thirdly noone is taking you seriously although I worry you take so much interest in school children.

During the riots people were blaming parents and schools for not installing discipline, the pupils and parents were given amble notice about what would happen but yet they still decided to push the boundaries ………. And then bleat about it. :hihi:

Amble notice-walk this way!

King Edwards children are brats with no respect for authority. Maybe that's what a non-uniform policy gets you?

Don't know whether this information makes things worse or not but, apparently, the 2 uniform choices that came out "tops" during the discussions, were cast aside becaue they were deemed too expensive by the school council (which includes the kids who will be wearing it)

They have expressed their concern from the day the designs became public.:suspect: