Post office messengers

Hi grenoside 123

I think the last time I saw Terry was at Dads funeral in 1969.

Betty will definitely remember him. My family was very involved in the Post Office. My dad , my brother, my cousin Michael and his dad Frank who worked for PO Telephones.

She will most likely remember your whole family then as she does have a lot of fond memories of the PO. I believe (although I'd have to double check I'm thinking of the right person!) that my uncle's sister Maureen (husband Steve) also had some connection to the PO too.

I'll give my Aunty Bet a call tomorrow and remember your Dad and the rest of your family too her. I'll pop back on the thread and let you know!

Thanks to all who posted memories of the G P O messengers in Sheffield , it is hard to remember names of the lads I worked with but anyone who was at Pond st delivery

from 47 to 50 would remember the advent of the Bantams and the efforts of the mechanic to govern the engines by a little copper sleeve on the carburetter end of the throttle cable.

we had some good times then .

before the Bantams I worked at Beauchief po delivering telegrams to Dore Totley and all around that area.pushing a bike up Dore rd usually in the rain

Happy Days

Yes I am Bryans brother and will pass your wishes to Ian Barker at the Xmas lunch with the PO vets on the 10th December.

i have memories of seeing the telegram boys skidding round inside the garage,I think it was bailey st,1967ish

Hi Alan,

I remember seeing you on that occasion! I think it was at my daughter Victoria's house at Whiteways Road. Can't think when it was but I guess it must be at least 10 years ago? Some of the PO vets meet monthly every third tuesday at lunchtime at the Bowshaw Inn Dronfield. One of the attendees is an ex messenger with us Ian Barker. Good to hear from you....Rob

Hi Rob, spot on with Whiteways Road. I am now in contact with ARO Jackson. Last time we met was 25 years ago. It was his idea that I joined this forum. Nice to hear from you. Alan.

---------- Post added 23-11-2013 at 14:33 ----------

Hi Rob, spot on with Whiteways Road. I am now in contact with ARO Jackson. Last time we met was 25 years ago. It was his idea that I joined this forum. Nice to hear from you. Alan.
Would you please give details of P.O. vets !0th December Time venue etc.

---------- Post added 24-11-2013 at 11:00 ----------

Rob Wardley I'm not very good at this computer lark. Did you get my message requesting details of p.o. vets 10th December time venue etc.

My Dad (long dead) was a telegram messenger in the push bike days..went on to run the mechanised office when it opened on Pond St

My Dad (long dead) was a telegram messenger in the push bike days..went on to run the mechanised office when it opened on Pond St

What was your dads name?. I probably Knew him.

Alan, it was Fred Buttery

Hi Starmandave

Was Fred related to Charlie Buttery who was PO welfare officer, I think, during the 50s ?

Yes he was my Uncle, Fred's Brother :-)

I remember now that Charlie had a brother who was at Fitzalan Sq/ Pond St.

Charlie used to pop round to see my dad quite often. I seem to remember him bringing a daughter who'd be round about my age ( 60ish ). Did they live at Frecheville ?