Post office messengers

Yes they lived at Frechville, we lived at Norton Lees, Uncle Charlie (older by a couple of years I think) died a long time ago late 70's. I haven't seen cousin Sue (His daughter) for over ten years, she now lives near Brid I think. Both had retired

I think Charlie and my dad had a shared interest in hi-fi outside of work. I vaguely remember going round to their house to hear his system . Think it was the first time I'd ever heard stereo sound.

My dad would have been a messenger pre-war. When he joined up he was in the Royal Engineers Postal Section

Alan,

The Xmas lunch for the PO vets will be on the 10th December at 12.30pm at the Bowshaw Pub which lies at the junction of the A61 Dronfield By Pass and the road down to the Coach and Horses in Dronfield.

If you are interested in attending please let me know and I will add your name to the list?

Cheers

Dreb 48, yes they were always competing in who had the loudest HiFi (Huge Speakers!) and Uncle C was into electronics (He was a Signals Major in the War in India) he built his own speakers they were awesome.

Alan, it was Fred Buttery

I knew your dad very well.I also knew his brother Charlie, who was the welfare officer,[he drove a triumph 2000] Your dad also had a triumph 2000. He later had a Humber Hawk., it was his pride and joy. My friend and I used to service the Hawk. He lived at Hartford close at that time.The hawk I recall was written off in a collision on Bellhouse Rd. He had been there visiting his friend Reg Gant.

---------- Post added 26-11-2013 at 09:50 ----------

Alan,

The Xmas lunch for the PO vets will be on the 10th December at 12.30pm at the Bowshaw Pub which lies at the junction of the A61 Dronfield By Pass and the road down to the Coach and Horses in Dronfield.

If you are interested in attending please let me know and I will add your name to the list?

Cheers

Rob. Are there many ex messengers attending? I am probably interested and will try to get ARO Jackson to come along. Keep in touch and I will get back to you on this Thanks Alan.

---------- Post added 26-11-2013 at 13:01 ----------

I knew your dad very well.I also knew his brother Charlie, who was the welfare officer,[he drove a triumph 2000] Your dad also had a triumph 2000. He later had a Humber Hawk., it was his pride and joy. My friend and I used to service the Hawk. He lived at Hartford close at that time.The hawk I recall was written off in a collision on Bellhouse Rd. He had been there visiting his friend Reg Gant.

---------- Post added 26-11-2013 at 09:50 ----------

Rob. Are there many ex messengers attending? I am probably interested and will try to get ARO Jackson to come along. Keep in touch and I will get back to you on this Thanks Alan.

Rob. Made contact with ARO. We are both up for it. Give details of cost and name/address of who to make payments to. Alan.

Hi Alan, Yes Dad loved big Cars ended with a 3litre Austin Automatic, it was better for his disability. You have a very good memory regarding his Accident near Concord Park if I remember I think he would have died that day if it wasn't for the 'tank' he was in :-)

He lived and actually died in Hartford Close :-) I first drove the Hawk at the airfield at Norton when I was 16, the bloody stick change was a nightmare!

It's so Nice people remember my family, as it's these memories that make people live on.

Alan.

The usual guys who attend are Ian Barker, my brother Bryan, Doug Mitchell, Dickie Downs, Peter Walmsley, Walt Howard, Alistair Mowat and a few others.

Hope you can make it , will be good to talk over old times and particularly good to see Aro!

Cheers

Alan,

Cheers

Rob. Aro jackson and I would like to attend.Details of cost and where and to who to make payment please. Thanks Alan Keen,

Spoke to our Bryan and it would be great to see you 2 on the 10th December at 12.30pm at the Bowshaw. The xmas lunch is about £10. See you there. Rob

Alan.

The usual guys who attend are Ian Barker, my brother Bryan, Doug Mitchell, Dickie Downs, Peter Walmsley, Walt Howard, Alistair Mowat and a few others.

Hope you can make it , will be good to talk over old times and particularly good to see Aro!

Cheers

Rob. Thanks for info. I assume we turn up and pay on the day, otherwise let me know what the arrangements are.ARO was intending to contact IB Barker to see if he would be interested, obviously he is. See you there. Alan.

Can any of you lads list the heads of the post office in Sheffield between 1968ish and 1975 ? I'm wanting to contact James, the son of one, but I forget the family surname. Thanks.