Post office messengers

I was a PO messenger from 1960 to 1962 riding the 125 bantams all day. We used to work sundays occasionally and had a special run to worksop.

I remember a lot of the other messengers including:-

Philip Parkin, Pete Cowlishaw,David Richmond,John Schofield,Roger Newsum,Robert Simpson,John Gillette,Alan Keen,Ian Barker,John Griffith,Tony Jukes,David Gambling,Graham Lomas,Stewart Curwen and Mick Flaherty.

There were 2 blokes who supervised the messengers at that time...Brian Luscombe and Ray Rolley.

hi rob wardley

Idont know if you remember me but i was a telephonist and worked at the GPO 1961-1964 i married john griffiths in 1964 i remember you as well as Philip Parkin, Pete Cowlishaw, Mick Flaherty,John Schofield,Graham Lomas,and most of the others. Do you remember Glynn Griffiths, Tony Jenkinson, We all went to the Post Office Youth Club.

Yes I do remember the other messengers you mention but you didn't give your name!!!

anybody who worked at the head post office in the 1940s as a telegram lad

A friend of mine worked as a telephonist there 1939-45 and knew most of them. Her father, Arnold Jenkinson, was in charge of the telegram boys.

Edited by carosio

Yes I do remember the other messengers you mention but you didn't give your name!!!

sorry my name was June Oldfield Glynn Griffiths was our best man at our Wedding. we used to all meet at the youth club or in the staff canteen.John died in 1971 and i was left with our 3 boys, i was on my own for 7 years and then married again to an ex G.P.O messenger who became a Postman Driver,and knew john as a messenger, we have been married for 33 years.

regards Norton Girl

I was a PO messenger from 1960 to 1962 riding the 125 bantams all day. We used to work sundays occasionally and had a special run to worksop.

I remember a lot of the other messengers including:-

Philip Parkin, Pete Cowlishaw,David Richmond,John Schofield,Roger Newsum,Robert Simpson,John Gillette,Alan Keen,Ian Barker,John Griffith,Tony Jukes,David Gambling,Graham Lomas,Stewart Curwen and Mick Flaherty.

There were 2 blokes who supervised the messengers at that time...Brian Luscombe and Ray Rolley.

Rob Wardley, remember me? Last time we met, I was teaching a girl to drive and you were present in her company. I can't remember her name, but I'm sure you will. Alan Keen.

My great uncle was a messenger boy for the PO, Terry Baines. Couldn't tell you which years though.

My great uncle was a messenger boy for the PO, Terry Baines. Couldn't tell you which years though.

Hi grenoside 123

My dad Horace Hibberd was a big friend of Terry. I can remember him coming round to our house. I think he progressed through the post office network with my dad. My brother Malcolm was also a messenger during the early 60s. Terry would have been a messenger pre war

Hi Alan,

I remember seeing you on that occasion! I think it was at my daughter Victoria's house at Whiteways Road. Can't think when it was but I guess it must be at least 10 years ago? Some of the PO vets meet monthly every third tuesday at lunchtime at the Bowshaw Inn Dronfield. One of the attendees is an ex messenger with us Ian Barker. Good to hear from you....Rob

Hi grenoside 123

My dad Horace Hibberd was a big friend of Terry. I can remember him coming round to our house. I think he progressed through the post office network with my dad. My brother Malcolm was also a messenger during the early 60s. Terry would have been a messenger pre war

Hi Dreb,

Yes, that's correct pre-war, as he went on to be Navigator in WW2. He met my great Aunty, Betty whilst working at the PO.

Hi Alan,

I remember seeing you on that occasion! I think it was at my daughter Victoria's house at Whiteways Road. Can't think when it was but I guess it must be at least 10 years ago? Some of the PO vets meet monthly every third tuesday at lunchtime at the Bowshaw Inn Dronfield. One of the attendees is an ex messenger with us Ian Barker. Good to hear from you....Rob

Hi Rob,

You must be Brian's brother? Can you give my regards to Ian Barker when you see him. Just tell him Malcolm's brother would like to be remembered to him. Thanks

---------- Post added 21-11-2013 at 21:50 ----------

Hi Dreb,

Yes, that's correct pre-war, as he went on to be Navigator in WW2. He met my great Aunty, Betty whilst working at the PO.

Hi grenoside 123.

My dad and Terry were big mates. I think they worked together in Survey Branch at Fitzalan Sq. I think he lived on Rowan Tree Dell at Totley

Hi Rob,

You must be Brian's brother? Can you give my regards to Ian Barker when you see him. Just tell him Malcolm's brother would like to be remembered to him. Thanks

---------- Post added 21-11-2013 at 21:50 ----------

Hi grenoside 123.

My dad and Terry were big mates. I think they worked together in Survey Branch at Fitzalan Sq. I think he lived on Rowan Tree Dell at Totley

That's right yes, my uncle Terry sadly passed away in 2007, however Aunty Bet is still going strong at 89 years of age, still at Rowan Tree Dell too.

I 'll mention your Dad too her, I'm sure she'll remember him, she's always telling me stories of when back when they were courting in the PO days etc.

That's right yes, my uncle Terry sadly passed away in 2007, however Aunty Bet is still going strong at 89 years of age, still at Rowan Tree Dell too.

I 'll mention your Dad too her, I'm sure she'll remember him, she's always telling me stories of when back when they were courting in the PO days etc.

Hi grenoside 123

I think the last time I saw Terry was at Dads funeral in 1969.

Betty will definitely remember him. My family was very involved in the Post Office. My dad , my brother, my cousin Michael and his dad Frank who worked for PO Telephones.