Something strange on my wageslip

Ive just opened my wageslip to find a deduction for a court order:confused::confused:

Firstly ive not been sumonsed to court, secondly i have no idea why its there, thirdly has anyone got any idea of weather or not i should be notified if im going to have deductions from my earnings?

officially it's known as an Attachment of Earnings.

More information can be found here: http://www.nationaldebtline.co.uk/england_wales/factsheet.php?page=22_attachment_of_earnings_in_the_county_court

It's odd that you've not been informed though, are you on the electoral roll and do you owe any creditors money that you've not been paying?

Your first port of call should be your employer if you genuinely believe that there is a mistake as they will be able to tell you which court has imposed it which will lead to which creditor (if any)

Actually I think court ordered deductions can be made without notice, not sure though.

Yes, they can. There are also occasions where the debtors address is not known to the creditor and the debt is enforced via the debtors NiNo, so being able to inform of the deductions is not an option.

Yes, they can. There are also occasions where the debtors address is not known to the creditor and the debt is enforced via the debtors NiNo, so being able to inform of the deductions is not an option.

It's unlikely that they validly apply in this case - unless Closet Guy knew full well he was defaulting on debts and hiding from his creditors. In which case surely he would know what the deduction was for, even if he was trying to claim he had no advance warning of it.

As suggested above, I'd ask the employer for details of which court imposed it, then ring the court to ask for information on the matter. Particularly so if I wasn't aware of anything I owed or of any court summons being served.

Ive just opened my wageslip to find a deduction for a court order:confused::confused:

Firstly ive not been sumonsed to court, secondly i have no idea why its there, thirdly has anyone got any idea of weather or not i should be notified if im going to have deductions from my earnings?

If there is no information on your payslip re which court it is from, then the first point of contact should be your wages department. They should be able to tell you who to get in touch with to find out what its all about.

I'd be following that up as soon as the wages office is open.

Oops, just seen HN's post which more or less says the same!

Edited by Ms Macbeth
added a bit

It's unlikely that they validly apply in this case - unless Closet Guy knew full well he was defaulting on debts and hiding from his creditors. In which case surely he would know what the deduction was for, even if he was trying to claim he had no advance warning of it.

As suggested above, I'd ask the employer for details of which court imposed it, then ring the court to ask for information on the matter. Particularly so if I wasn't aware of anything I owed or of any court summons being served.

I was referring more to the general point raised by AJ Sheffield. I have had a couple of instances where I have been contacted by the courts, enquiring if a certain person was currently employed by the company, followed by the attachment of earnings order. In both cases, I pulled the employee to one side and informed them of the situation. I've been retired a while now, so I'm not up to speed on any subsequent changes.

Thanks all for the advice.

Ive just contacted to wages dept and its apparently a council tax debt from 3 years ago:confused::confused::confused:

Rang the council tax dept and it was like hitting a brick wall.

Totaly unhelpful and denied the possibilty they have got it wrong.

So arrogant its unreal.

Unfotunatly my solicitor is on holiday for a week so i cant contact her but as soon as her plane lands ill be on the phone like a shot!

It amazes me that someone can simply dip into your wages without even having to tell you:rant: