Fairbarn Drive, Stannington

Hi, i was wondering what Fairbarn Drive on Stannington is like...:huh:

It has been pretty quiet recently.Not bad at all.

I hope I am not tempting fate,I suppose all hell will break lose now I have said that.

That area used to be very respectable, my late Nan (Dad's Mum) lived on there Donkey's years before she died and as far as I know never had a whiff of trouble, the trouble started when the Council moved all the nutters off the Wybourn and Wynn Gardens into the area.

Edited by Rich

That area used to be very respectable, my late Nan (Dad's Mum) lived on there Donkey's years before she died and as far as I know never had a whiff of trouble, the trouble started when the Council moved all the nutters off the Wybourn and Wynn Gardens into the area.

I am from the Wybourn, and plenty of my family still live on there...and I wouldn't say any of us are nutters...far from it....but that said, I suppose thats the beauty of being a council tenant...you can move to a better area if you want :huh: :huh:

Oh and by the way, we have a very good family friend who lives on Fairbarn Drive.

Jayne

It's not bad...loads of gangs hang around on the shops and in the park at night though....lots of police sirens are alleys heading over there!

We live on fairbarn drive, it's not bad. like nosy nellie says its been quiet round here lately. It's the high rise flats on stannington road where the trouble normally is. Well it must not be too bad here my mum left the car keys in the boot of the car all night and they were still in the same place the following morning!

Mmmmm....judgemental as ever Rich.....not all people from Winn Gardens are nutters.

Suggest you take the plank out of your own eye before pointing out the splinter on someone else's.

Mmmmm....judgemental as ever Rich.....not all people from Winn Gardens are nutters.

Suggest you take the plank out of your own eye before pointing out the splinter on someone else's.

Hes from netherthopre plenty of nutters live there aswell.

Hes from netherthopre plenty of nutters live there aswell.

I was trying to be diplomatic ;):hihi:

We live on fairbarn drive, it's not bad. like nosy nellie says its been quiet round here lately. It's the high rise flats on stannington road where the trouble normally is. Well it must not be too bad here my mum left the car keys in the boot of the car all night and they were still in the same place the following morning!

Quite right Plantpot,All the trouble seems to be centered around the shops and multi story flats which used to be a lovely place for the more mature members of society, but the council in their wisdom as usual have turned these flats into a ghetto where the elderly now don't want to live and cannot get out fast enough.

The trouble is most of the elderly members of our society are now too old and infirm to go to the trouble of moving to another home and so they now have got to end their days surrounded by drunks, drug takers and all the other social misfits.

And the council don't give a damn.

It is about time the social workers and the doogooders concentrated on careing for the elderly instead of the no hopers who do not appreciate what is being done for them.

Edited by nosy nellie

Quite right Plantpot,All the trouble seems to be centered around the shops and multi story flats which used to be a lovely place for the more mature members of society, but the council in their wisdom as usual have turned these flats into a ghetto where the elderly now don't want to live and cannot get out fast enough.

The trouble is most of the elderly members of our society are now too old and infirm to go to the trouble of moving to another home and so they now have got to end their days surrounded by drunks, drug takers and all the other social misfits.

And the council don't give a damn.

It is about time the social workers and the doogooders concentrated on careing for the elderly instead of the no hopers who do not appreciate what is being done for them.

Its usually the actions of a few residents that cause problems for their neighbours. The council don't get together and decide to purposely make life hell for anyone. They don't have meetings where they pick on parts of the city to turn in to ghettos. One of the problems is when no older person wants a flat in a block that was designated for the elderly. What would be your solution for finding suitable tenants for these? Landlords can't afford to leave them empty.

My view is that many neighbour problems have escalated since the police stopped being the point of contact for nuisance and noise issues. In the 'old days' a visit from the local bobby often contained problems before they started. For a long time its been up to housing organisations and local authorities to try and deal with neighbour issues, but they have neither the image of the police, or the power to do anything quickly.

The increase in anti social behaviour has been the result of government changes to nuisance policies rather than councils not giving a damn. Sadly there has also been a downward spiral in behaviour and respect for others, and some areas of housing suffer more than others.

If you asked the few elderly residents thet still live on these flats they will tell you all the trouble started when the council lowered the age restrictions on these flats.

Thus as soon as the younger members of society were allowed to apply for a flat it was a downward spiral to the ghetto it now is.

This is why I blame the council.

Another reason is the council got rid of the live in caretakers on these flats who had pride in their work and did more than their job description to make sure the residents were happy and safe.

Edited by nosy nellie