Help with a website building problem.

andyk68

I'm building a website, just a basic one for family and was doing ok until I hit a snag. I'm using Serif webplus (html for dummies) so I know how to add pages and link most things but I want to add photo galleries. I tried the inbuilt flash gallery but it takes ages to load so I created a gallery using photoshop, the problem now is photoshop creates its own index.html as does serif. I want to put a button on the home page to link to the index page with the gallery on and for any other galleries that I create in future.

make a folder called gallery in the same folder as your index.html

then in your index.html make a link like this..

<a href="gallery/index.html">View Gallery</a>

clicking this link will then open up the gallery, you can edit the photoshop's index.html to add a link back to your home if you want, using ../index.htm instead of gallery/index.html

the simplest would be to extend the method above

create a folder called "galleries"

and within that create a new folder for each new gallery, and name them what you want.

Then you can link to that gallery simply by using

<ul>
    <li><a href="galleries/gallery01/index.html">View Gallery One</a></li>
    <li><a href="galleries/gallery02/index.html">View Gallery Two</a></li>
    <li><a href="galleries/gallery03/index.html">View Gallery Three</a></li>
    <li><a href="galleries/gallery04/index.html">View Gallery Four</a></li>
    <li><a href="galleries/family/index.html">View Family Gallery</a></li>
</ul>

Ok just had a go but i'm obviously doing something wrong, have a look at this screenshot please, it explains a little more about it.http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6145/5933634162_0de95ab2e4_b.jpg

If you copy the "galery 1" folder (not just the contents, the actual folder) to the KD Site folder you can link to it in the way described above.

You can create the link as ../gallery one/ and it should work when you upload it to your web server as well as on the local machine.

Something else to note is that you might want to avoid spaces and special characters in all your names if you want to avoid problems.

Edited by Cynic