Strange goings on with Sheffield Star's "retro" section

First off i would like to say the following incident did give me and my mother a good laugh to see a picture of me with my senior year class in the "Retro" section of the star but come on ... seriously? This was in the "RETRO" section?

I'm 28!

My mother gets the Star delivered daily and she always saves them for me to read and look through the retro section as history fascinates me. We have spent a lot of time with me saying "oooh mum wasn't that your school?" or "did you attend that event?" or even "she looks a bit like grandma, what factory did she work in during the war?" and my mother replying with "yes that was my school but before my time" and "right era but wrong factory for grandma" etc etc. Now suddenly we seem to have completely skipped a large chunk of history and are now finding coloured pictures from 1997 and into the early 2000's in the RETRO section of the paper!

Well at 28 are we now to assume the big "3-0" crisis with older people looking at you like you're still a mere child compared to them has been made redundant?

If you are older than 40 should you now be classed as ancient relics because you can be found in the retro section in your mid 20's?

Or maybe the star have started employing 10 year olds who think anyone over the age of 20 is "well old".

I'm not sure, but what i do know is it was confusing enough that "Flares" turned into "Babylon - the 90's retro club" and completely skipped the 80's as if it never happened. Now we are being told being a teenager in the 90's means we can be thrown into the retro section of the star with people from around the 1920's - 1950's!

Maybe they have run out of images and we should all start digging out our ancestors photo albums to help prevent the Star from reaching for the 2011 images by the time we just get into 2012?

Madness :loopy:

You are officially old. Sorry to break it to you. :(

i keep getting over 50s car insurance letters through and i'm in my 30s, i guess people just want us to feel old before our time!

Retro just means associated with or revived from the past. So it could relate to something from yesterday, not just from years and years ago.

so old! think i might need to start blue rinsing my hair in another couple of years hahaha

I've had a few over 50's life insurance envelopes arriving through my door. Makes me wonder what you get when you are actually over 50 .... "purchase a second grave plot for half the price when you buy a plot in the next two weeks. Enter promo code - justcurlupanddie if applying online" :gag:

so old! think i might need to start blue rinsing my hair in another couple of years hahaha

I've had a few over 50's life insurance envelopes arriving through my door. Makes me wonder what you get when you are actually over 50 .... "purchase a second grave plot for half the price when you buy a plot in the next two weeks. Enter promo code - justcurlupanddie if applying online" :gag:

I'll tell you what you get, on the day of your 50th Birthday you get a birthday card from Sun Axa over 50's life insurance, then every week without fail another letter from them offering £50 M&S vouchers if you join, and then the funeral people send out info relating to pre-paid funeral schemes. If you manage to laugh these of then come the free samples and money off coupons for Tena Lady - Shall I just throw in the towel now!!

Not directly related but my local bookshop in Kent has currently got a stack of Sheffield Star books in stock. Not sure of the title but they're ones just filled with local photos.

Interesting for me but I can't see there being a great deal of demand down here, somehow.

This isn't 'retro' news so far as the Star's concerned ...it's 'breaking news'!

Jeez! ... they still have a 'Spot the Doodlebug' competition! :D

I'll tell you what you get, on the day of your 50th Birthday you get a birthday card from Sun Axa over 50's life insurance, then every week without fail another letter from them offering £50 M&S vouchers if you join, and then the funeral people send out info relating to pre-paid funeral schemes. If you manage to laugh these of then come the free samples and money off coupons for Tena Lady - Shall I just throw in the towel now!!

Can't wait! haha oh dear :help::rolleyes:

Now we know how the Star like taking their news from this forum...

Monday's headline: "Strange goings on in local newspaper's retro section"?

well if they like taking their news from this forum then maybe they will find this and think .. yeah putting a now 28 year old in the retro section probably is a bit silly. My mum found it quite funny that she is apparently old enough not only to one day probably find herself in this section but also her daughter! She mocked that it might be time to look for a zimmer frame at the ancient age of 64 :) i'm sure her co-workers would find it hillarious when she turns up to work with one, being one of the youngest in her office and all :hihi:

nice to see some pics from shiregreen in there tonight .also pics from shirgreen working mens club members enjoying themselves (even if they are in colour ) :loopy: