Did you ever live in Parson Cross?

Sadly it is one of those pubs that will disappear before I ever had a chance to go in it.

Oh, well! I'll drink to its memory tonight.

There was a shooting on Parson Cross at 11pm on Sunday 21 May 2006.

Three shots were fired at a flat on Dryden Way - the flats just off Southey Green Road, between The Ritz and the old Magnet roundabout.

One shot was fired through the bathroom window and two through the door but no one was injured.

Whatever next ?

...................And we thought we were radical firing catapults at pigeons!!

...................And we thought we were radical firing catapults at pigeons!!

Or blowing up frogs & toads.

How cruel!

Country Dancing in Grenoside

I was recently reminded of an annual event which had long since faded to the dark recesses of my mind.

From the ages of about 8 to 10, I was a member of our school’s (Tommy More’s) country dancing team.

In the early spring we would start rehearsing. We would traipse into the school hall every Tuesday morning, the girls a little more eagerly than the boys, and line up so that “Miss” could size us off, a bit like they do in the army. We would form into two rows, the girls in front, the boys standing gingerly behind. Whichever girl stood directly in front of you, was your partner, at least for that session. This was a traumatic moment. If it was the right girl you were walking on clouds for the next few hours, smiling like a goon. The wrong girl and – Oh dear, you were the subject of your mates’ mickey taking for the rest of that day and beyond.

For the initial sessions, the school’s music teacher played the piano as accompaniment, clanking away an a slightly out of tune Kemble, but closer to the day the school would get copies of the tunes on vinyl, and we danced along as these were played through the tinny horned speaker, “Nipper” conspicuous by his absence.

I can’t remember the titles of actual dances but they all had very rustic names like “Tumbledown Jig” and “Gypsy Promenade”, and consisted of moves like “Dip-Dive”, “Figure 8” and “Up and Double-Back”, terms which even now send a shudder down my spine. “Gay Gordon” of course didn’t have the connotations then that it does now, or we’d have never gotten through it.

These rehearsals would continue over a few weeks, and eventually we would get the hang of the moves, manage to stifle the ever present giggles, and eventually present some semblance of organised dance. One or two show offs (ahem!) would even try adding stylish swirls of their own, but these were quickly stamped on by “Miss”, not a great believer in individuality.

Then, one fine spring Saturday, we would head up to Greno, joined by teams from all the other “Ecclesfield and District” schools, Mansell, Monteney, Ecco, and all the kids with big foreheads from Lound. We would be dressed in white shirts, red ties, grey trousers (short, of course!) and white pumps. The girls wore white frocks and had red ribbons in their hair. The Village Green, behind the old chapel, was laid out so that the various troupes could line up in formation, with ropes dividing one section from the next. This was necessary as the “Morris Dancers” were also present, doing their usual stick-bashing and bottle-top waggling, and one school had a gymnastic display – riveting!

Having rehearsed to records, it always came as a big shock to find that the music on the day was being played live by a live brass band, and so the tempos were a bit different from those in our heads. We soon however got used to this, and at the opening “DA-DAAH!” from the band, we would bow to our partners and skip off to our proscribed routines, with “Miss’s” barked orders (“Up and Double Back!”, “Skip down the Aisle!” “Step and Hop, Step and HOP!!!”) Frittering through our tiny minds at a deadly pace.

I seem to remember the actual performance as being very enjoyable, heaving a collective sigh of relief when it was over. The applause from the locals was always jolly and enthusiastic, and we all bowed energetically, milking it for all we were worth. Some parents would be there (my own Mom usually showed up) but most kids were orphans for the day.

After performing, we were each given a voucher for a free Ice-Cream from the local Monfredi’s van, the mainstay of any summer outdoor event, and if we added an extra penny we got a “99”, covered in lovely gooey raspberry syrup. And of course, it didn’t matter if some spilt on your shirt, ‘cause the ordeal was now over.

I know it seems a bit "Heartbeat", but I can’t help think that in this current climate of knives and shootings, a short spell of “Country Dancing “would help smooth things over.

AAahh, them were the days…….

Margetson Crescent shops are now undergoing a major facelift, from June to October 2006.

The road between the chippie and the church has been blocked off whilst a huge digger eats up all the concrete.

Not sure what the plan is, but the Council know what's good for us. :(

Hi Paul, Iwonder if you knew any of the Butler family who lived on Colley Road at 108? Ray remembers us, he and I are in touch now but sadly can't actually remember him from those days - I left Colley Road to live on Tunwell Avenue when I was 10 or 11.

Freda

hi have just registered on this site and reading your message and wondered if you could help me, looking for jack and greta butler dont know if you are related to them, but am hoping they were related to my great grandmother who was born in sheffield

I left Colley School in 1970, lived on Colley Crescent up to 1974 when I got married and moved to S8. Parson Cross was a nice place in those days, never any trouble like you hear of now, its the lack of disipline i think.

Lynne Brown - but I forget the other name.

Her blond sister was called Pat. she was in my class at Colley.