Is it legal to shoot a fox?

Unless it's a low powered air rifle they will need a licence (and killing a fox with an air rifle will be tricky)

As for killing a fox then are vermin and it's almost certainly perfectly legal if they have landowners permission.

Getting a ticket for a pest control rifle or shotgun isn't difficult for people of good character so I would expect the firearm is licenced correctly.

If he's planning to replace the chickens, he's done the best thing

as he was the landowner (presumably) I can't see the problem

If he'd unleashed more than 2 hounds on it, that'd be a different kettle of fish :rolleyes:

ah poor mr fox, I can understand why the owner of the chickens shot it really.

Talking to my neighbour last night and she reckons a fox was gonna pounce on her yorkshire terrier the other day!

My friend's next door neighbour shot dead a fox that went into their garden and killed his 7 chickens. Bit like closing the stable door once the horse had bolted.

For some reason, I just didn't think it was legal.

The hunting and killing them for fun is illegal, but killing them for pest control is not.

Does this mean I can shoot a dog or cat if they were to enter my property. I consider them vermin? Where do we draw the line with what we can and can't shoot?
If you're a farmer, you can shoot dogs on your property if they're worrying your livestock (so this neighbour would (presumably) have legally been able to shoot next door's dog if it was in his garden), but cats... that's an interesting one... I think that's regarded as cruelty, although in law nobody owns a cat, so an 'owner' should in theory have no recourse