Your memories of Sheffield past.

It was. In the late 60s a trad jazz band played upstairs on Friday nights. I used to play sometimes.

. . . and the Sheffield Branch of BLESMA used to have their meetings in the back room.

The Foresters, across from the fire station, Alexander Brennan Insurance brokers, at the side of the fire station, The Rickshaw Chinese restaurant, across from the green area and Mitchell and Challenge, where The Forum is.

Prince of Wales, corner of Westfield terrace and Division street

Prince of Wales, corner of Westfield terrace and Division street

hiya remember bramhars ( spelling),they made aircraft parts during the war, and woofes high class furniture shop, cuneo's ice cream shop, and a co-op where they had a till high off the floor when any money was paid the assistants, was screwed into a container and sent along something like a clothes line to the cashier, there were a few of them across the shop. and calvery hall,hartley seeds bookshop on the corner, but this was devonshire st, then back to division st the fire station where my dads uncle was a fireman during the war, the bookshop applebaums this was just around near carver st,across the road at the corner was a jewellers shop, and a florist. then a newsagents, around by the city hall was a british restaurant during the war.remember a workmate telling me that the foresters held a sheffield ex boxers get together and the chip shop was a pub years ago.

Edited by willybite

hiya remember bramhars ,they made aircraft parts during the war, and woofes high class furniture shop, cuneo's ice cream shop, and a co-op where they had a till high off the floor when any money was paid the assistants, was screwed into a container and sent along something like a clothes line to the cashier, there were a few of them across the shop. and calvery hall,hartley seeds bookshop on the corner, but this was devonshire st, then the bookshop applebaums, around by the city hall was a british restaurant.

Applebaums and Hartley Seeds have jogged my memory, the cash transfer system was called Lamson Tubes, my grandmother used to mention Woofes, I'm obviously a bit young for the others, that's why folk like you are priceless on a thread like this. If Happyhippy would be so kind as to have a word with my grandad, CHAIRBOY and Albert T Smith this thread would be mega.

That would be T.G. Woofe if I remember correctly. My uncle worked there

I remember you could stand on the street and watch them shovelling coal into the boilers in the basement of the Royal Hospital

That was right accross the street from the Prince of Wales

That was right accross the street from the Prince of Wales

It's The Frog and Parrot these days I believe, bloody name changes, why for christ's sake? :loopy:

Wasn't there a pikelet shop on Division St.

After school we used to stand and watch them being made and then eat them while still hot.

Hi Poppins

hazel

Back in the 60s A shop name on westfield terrace always made me smile, it was called Boosey and Hawkes,it was opposite the entrance to the Royal hospital,I think it was something to do with musical instruments.

Edited by stevenorfolk

I recall going past the Rickshaw there used to be quite a few curio/antique shops.

Any offers guys on another street, if you're not sick and tired by now that is.