Your memories of Sheffield past.

HIYA me again around the union cinema the clock i remember and the name newton chambers comes to mind, i also remember the temp store that british home stores had, and also the grapes and another one another temp pub at the corner of the moor.used to dislike the temp shops around the moor, like bhs,atkinsons across the moor from where the main shop was bombed,but worst of all was marks and spencers, they took the landsdown cinema but left the sloping floors of the cinema in can you imagine later the locarno still having a floor like that, the reason i've said before the counters were at onne end the right height but the other end they were too high for a 5 yer old, the first two you went down a flight of steps ,

There you are, I told you that you were needed, of course it was Newton Chambers, good spot.

The ' Old Blue Bell ' was in an alley off High Street. I think the Grapes wasn 't at the side of the Nelson but opposite to it. The Grapes had been bombed during the war, stood in ruins for about 20 years [ ? ] and it was about 1960 when it was finally demolished and they built Redgates there [ assuming the creaky braincells have got it right ? ]

The ' Old Blue Bell ' was in an alley off High Street. I think the Grapes wasn 't at the side of the Nelson but opposite to it. The Grapes had been bombed during the war, stood in ruins for about 20 years [ ? ] and it was about 1960 when it was finally demolished and they built Redgates there [ assuming the creaky braincells have got it right ? ]

Thought the Grapes was on Trippet Lane ?

Oops I got Fargate and High Street mixed up. Used to do the Old Blue Bell most Friday Nights :-)

I promised 'stevennorfolk' that we would do Division Street when Norfolk Street had run it's course. Might I be so bold as to start off with The Albert on one corner and the Water Board building on the other?

Thanks Crookesey, since my last post,I have been thinking, does anybody remember the YMCA across from the fire station, I got sent there for a medical, when I started work at 15, in 1965. I think the Health service rented a room for the Doctor.Also further down towards barkers pool on the left was A Barbers shop run by a ex footballer,was it "john fantham"?

Edited by stevenorfolk