Black History Month - Sheffield schools

Wasn't slavery abolished essentially because slaves were too expensive to keep?

Within the British Empire it was certainly a moral cause at work. The remnants of the slave trade took America into a civil war, and that dispute was more economic than moral.

'Black History Month' is an unfortunate American fabrication which has infected the UK.

I find it to be highly offensive, because it is a racist celebration. That's just my opinion. I am from another race and I find the celebration of ANY race offensive. AFAIR; to be classed as 'racist' it is sufficient that your behaviour 'might' offend people of a different racial (or ethnic) group. (White people are 'ethnic' too.)

If you (and I don't give a stuff what colour your skin is - We are all peach coloured anyway) were to walk around the city centre wearing a tee shirt which said "Malcolm X - It's a black thing' or "Nelson Mandela - It's a black thing" would anybody complain?

I wouldn't. Wear what you bloody well like.

But if you were to walk exactly the same route wearing a tee shirt which said "William Shakespeare - It's a white thing", how far do you think you would get?

Racism is wrong. It isn't just 'wrong' on Sundays, high days and holidays - it's wrong all the time.

Any time that you, or I, or the state favours an ethnic group, that is wrong. - Define racism?

You've pretty much summed it up Rupert_Baehr. This is another nonsensical, token and offensive non-event.

'Black History Month' is an unfortunate American fabrication which has infected the UK.

I find it to be highly offensive, because it is a racist celebration. That's just my opinion. I am from another race and I find the celebration of ANY race offensive. AFAIR; to be classed as 'racist' it is sufficient that your behaviour 'might' offend people of a different racial (or ethnic) group. (White people are 'ethnic' too.)

If you (and I don't give a stuff what colour your skin is - We are all peach coloured anyway) were to walk around the city centre wearing a tee shirt which said "Malcolm X - It's a black thing' or "Nelson Mandela - It's a black thing" would anybody complain?

I wouldn't. Wear what you bloody well like.

But if you were to walk exactly the same route wearing a tee shirt which said "William Shakespeare - It's a white thing", how far do you think you would get?

Racism is wrong. It isn't just 'wrong' on Sundays, high days and holidays - it's wrong all the time.

Any time that you, or I, or the state favours an ethnic group, that is wrong. - Define racism?

Only just noticed this Rupert. I disagree massively with the part I've emboldened and most of the rest.

Could you explain how it offends you exactly?

How does it offend you that black history is highlighted and made better known?

How is that any sort of threat to anyone or anything?

As a native white Brit I would like to apologise to all the nations in the world we invaded. If only we didn't have such a highly skilled army we wouldn't have been able. If only other nations could have had the power and influence we had the world would have been a much more peaceful place. They wouldn't have invaded anywhere and just spread peace and love the world over.

I also think its a great idea to patronise black kids and make white kids feel guilty about the past, as though it was their fault..

In addition I think its a good idea to only present the benefits and good parts of black culture. On the other hand, and to be fair, its only right that we concentrate on the negative parts of our history.

We are, and always have been, bad bad people.

That's better...

Edited by Frank Sidney