Your thoughts on tattoos and piercings!

Bic0.. you're very welcome! To be honest, pain is nothing compared to fear. I find fear to be a very limiting emotion and it's very empowering to place yourself in a situation where you are faced with fear, and to overcome that. And with that said, I must point out that I have the utmost respect for each and every one of my clients.. I know exactly what it feels like to place your trust in someone with a sharp, pointy instrument of pain! In all honesty, I only allow the some of the UKs top piercers to go anywhere near me with a needle or scalpel, and I intend to be included in that category some day:P

I got my first tattoo when i was 15, got chinese symbol on shoulder, got my second one when i was 16, that was a tribal design on bottom of my spine, then just before my 18th birthday this year i had the "swfc" owl on my stomach, not having any more EVER as they hurt too much, dont like too many tats on a girl and i dont think lads like lasses wi too many either,

saying that though,.... bloke LOVES them, hes had 5 in the space of around a year and half....mad 'ed!

Also if anyone is wanting to get one and people tell you "it doesnt hurt" do NOT belive them, they are lying, lmao, it blummin well kills!!!!

:hihi:

Originally posted by scottf

of course not but you are saying that they are a chavvy thing to have- i am justpointing out that they have been doing thme for hundreds of years!

Originally posted by steev

Dude that's our heritage you're slagging off. There have been bodies found preserved in peat bogs in UK with tattoos, actually to a similar pattern to some more modern "tribal" tattoos (part of mine is designed along same lines).

It appears I owe scottf and steev a belated apology. I was watching Gladiator a couple of weeks back, and what did I see? Russell Crowe as Maximus wearing a SPQR tattoo on his arm.

I do know that Gladiator was acclaimed for its accuracy and attention to detail in recreating the historical scenes of the film, so I am happy to take back my comments about tattoos being worn only by ex-convicts and the workshy :)

Read more on tattooing in Roman times here

S.P.Q.R., the letters of the tattoo worn by Maximus, was an abbreviation for an oft used Latin phrase whose English translation is "the Senate and People of Rome".

The Latin word for "tattoo" was stigma, and our modern meaning of stigmatize, as a pejorative, has clearly evolved from the Latin. It was slaves, gladiators, criminals, and later, soldiers, who were tattooed, as an identifying mark.

Upper class Romans did not partake in tattooing, which they associated with either marginal groups, or foreigners, such as Thracians, who were known to tattoo extensively. The emperor Caligula is said to have forced individuals of rank to become tattooed as an embarrassment.

In late antiquity, the Roman army consisted largely of mercenaries, they were tattooed in order that deserters could be identified.

Originally posted by steev

Good to see you listening to the Christian church Abdul, well, either that or racial stereotyping, take your pick...

Neither; just my own standards of taste and decency :thumbsup:

go for it...ive got 7 tatoos...on my back..shoulder..wrist..foot...spine..and 2 on my fingers....they arent these big tatoos they are very feminine...flowers e.t.c but i will say that i do believe they can be very addictive when you have one you will want more...i took my nan 4 one last year and she is 73....thats what you call girl power...just go for it,

I've got a bellybutton piercing and a tattoo on my back in the kidney area of an ohm.

Bellybutton piercing is now stretched beyond recognition from having 2 kids, but I dont regret it as I dont fancy showing my tummy off anymore anyway.

Tattoo, beware where you have it, mine was perfect for me as it is so easy to cover and if I want to show it occasionally (heaven forbid with my stretchmarks) I can.

My mate had a great big one on her shoulderblades, she had to have a wedding dress and jacket that covered her tattoo, and it wasnt the one she would have liked. Tattoos and wedding dresses just dont look quite right together, so be aware of the fact that when you are older or on certain occasions you may wish to cover it without restricting yourself too much.

I don't mind tattoos when they are fresh and nicely coloured and a reasonable size. Having said that, I hate to see them on women (call me old fashioned or narrowminded if you wish) and I don't think much of the variety that proclaim allegiance to a particular football club, or even Mum! When the owner gets older and the tattoos go that weird blue black and the skin is all wrinkly then, frankly, yuk!

As for body piercing, well, I suppose you could term my pierced ears that but I only have one hole (and a little one, not like those metal polos you sometimes see) per ear. I quite like nose piercing but found that you could have just as much fun with a stick on gem and none of the pain! I always wondered if you start to resemble a blowing whale when you got a cold :hihi:

I really dislike other body piercing though, especially tongue piercing. I always end up fascinated by this weird waggling metal thing in peoples mouths when they are talking, and I completely lose track of the conversation!

I am with Bic0 though - I was young when I had my ears pierced and it hurt like hell! I am now also a believer in the Devout Cowardice cult